I am 60. I had a full TT, breast lift in April. Implant surgery schd July, und mus silicone. I surf at beach mid Sept. Too soon?

I am 126 lbs, 5'4, med fr, healthy, heal quickly, and retired. I have a trip to the beach mid Sept, I surf. Do you think I should delay my augmentation til Jan, or if no prob, go ahead with July augmentation? I don't want to jeopardize my trip, nor my healing. But, I want to get the surgeries done in a timely manner, and move on with my active life. I am interested opinions.

Surfing post Breast Implants

Thanks for your question and congratulations on scheduling your procedures.  I would say that if your healing goes as expected, that should be enough time to allow you to safely enjoy your surfing trip.  However, I would defer to your surgeon’s instructions as he/she will be following your progress.  Best of luck!

Surfing After Surgery

I generally recommend patients wait approximately 4-6 weeks before starting light, low impact exercise and I advise that they can start easing into more significant exercise at 6-8 weeks after surgery. If your breast surgery is approximately two months before your surfing trip there is a reasonable chance that you would be able to do this, however, that is a relatively more aggressive sport when you factor in the paddling, lying chest down on the surfboard and the potential for falling while surfing. If you want to do a trip with no significant chance of issues, then the safest bet would be best to postpone your surgery until afterwards and that way you know there will be no problems with surfing. If it is really important to have your breast surgery done before your trip it is probably going to be okay, however, you have to be ready for the possibility that you will have a minor complication or issue that might not make surfing possible.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Planning for a Breast Augmentation

Your trip sounds exciting! In my 30 years of experience, I share with my patients to expect, on average, a full recovery 6 weeks after their breast augmentation. During this 6-week healing process, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. Depending on the exact dates for your surfing trip, you may need to wait until you are fully recovered. Keep in mind, the 6-week healing process is an average guideline and every patient heals differently. Also, since you have had several procedures recently, it is important that you allow for a full and proper recovery. I recommend discussing your plans with your board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss their own post-op recovery recommendations. It is important that you feel comfortable and at ease.

Jay Burns, MD

Exercise post op

This is the advice I give to all of my patients:

Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

I am 60. I had a full TT, breast lift in April. Implant surgery schd July, und mus silicone. I surf at beach mid Sept.

I think you will be fine to surf as long as there is a minimum of 4 weeks after the surgery. The longer the time the better.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation and activity

I usually allow patients to go back to vigorous activity within about 6-8 weeks.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Activity after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I typically clear my patients for full activity (heavy lifting and strenuous activity) 4 weeks after routine breast augmentation.  Your surgeon may have different recommendations than the surgeons responding to your question so you must check with him/her to be sure.  Best wishes!

Surfing after getting breast implants

It's important to always check with your surgeon. I would advise my patients that if they have surgery in July, they should be fine for surfing by mid-September barring any complications, which are extremely rare. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon