Is it possible to undergo a mommy makeover using the laser Lipo method instead of SAL(traditional) to combat the scar of TT?
Doctor Answers 6
Mommy make-over - laser liposuction and other questions.
- Laser liposuction can be used but will not improve the scar and can burn your skin.
- The laser used in liposuction is not the same laser that is used to fade red scars.
- BMI matters because plastic surgeons want patients to be happy with their results -
- Women with a BMI over 30 tend to have internal fat so they can't get a flat stomach and end up unhappy with their results and their surgeons.
- Also an obese patient has a higher risk of blood clots, infection and other complications.
- That said - BMI is just a height/weight ratio -
- you are right that muscle and bone can give a person a high BMI but less fat than usual.
- I have done tummy tucks in women with BMIs below 40 - if it seems reasonable. All have done well.
- If you weigh more than 218 pounds now, your BMI is well above 35 -
- You might consider gastric bypass surgery if you can't lose the weight.
- You can then have a tummy tuck later when you are slimmer.
- Or you can get a couple of plastic surgery opinions to see if you are an exception to the rule and a tummy tuck is reasonable for you.
- Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
#BMI #cosmetic surgery #complications
Factoring BMI is critical in MM patient selection
You might also like...
Smart (laser) Lipo for better tummy scar versus traditional liposuction, which is better?
Thanks for your question and photo. It certainly is possible to do surgery on anyone with any BMI but the risk increases as your BMI increases. The more muscle you have the higher the BMI. Despite the the fact that you are more muscular, you seem based on your photo to have more intraabdominal fat that will not be removed with laser lipo or traditional. Weightloss is recommended first but lipo and tummy tuck is possible. Laser lipo will NOT improve your scar from the TT. It is done internally and not externally. See several board certified plastic surgeons and make sure that you find one that is going to take your safety first and not just your payment. Good Luck!
All the best,
Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Lipo Options for Mommy Makeovers
Mummy Tummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others. The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
Liposuction is the most commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States of America. New mothers sometimes experience redistribution of their body fat. Localized fat collections in the tummy, hips, thighs, and upper arms (to name a few of the more common areas) are treated easily and with excellent results, with either standard or the ultrasonic liposuction or power assisted liposuction. When combined with a sensible diet and exercise program you can successfully work toward regaining your pre-pregnancy body contours and clothing size.
Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.