Is it possible to undergo a mommy makeover using the laser Lipo method instead of SAL(traditional) to combat the scar of TT?

Why does a patients weight or BMI matter in procedures? If a person is more muscle wouldn't they weigh more? I would like to get procedures done however I'm 5ft 5in and even at 218 I was denied cosmetic surgery. I am muscular but due to 4 kids and unhealthy habits my midsection is hard to combat?

Mommy make-over - laser liposuction and other questions.

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over
  • Laser liposuction can be used but will not improve the scar and can burn your skin.
  • The laser used in liposuction is not the same laser that is used to fade red scars.
  • BMI matters because plastic surgeons want patients to be happy with their results -
  • Women with a BMI over 30 tend to have internal fat so they can't get a flat stomach and end up unhappy with their results and their surgeons.
  • Also an obese patient has a higher risk of blood clots, infection and other complications.
  • That said - BMI is just a height/weight ratio -
  • you are right that muscle and bone can give a person a high BMI but less fat than usual.
  • I have done tummy tucks in women with BMIs below 40 - if it seems reasonable. All have done well.
  • If you weigh more than 218 pounds now, your BMI is well above 35 -
  • You might consider gastric bypass surgery if you can't lose the weight.
  • You can then have a tummy tuck later when you are slimmer.
  • Or you can get a couple of plastic surgery opinions to see if you  are an exception to the rule and a tummy tuck is reasonable for you.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

#BMI #cosmetic surgery #complications

Performing cosmetic surgery in patients with a high BMI ( Higher than 30) is not a good idea, the incidence of complications is significantly higher. (Studies show an incidence around 30%).BMI is not accurate in body builders, but it is a good indicator in regular patients. Based in the limited information obtained from the picture posted, you will benefit from weight loss before considering cosmetic surgery and you will need an excisional procedure, you have excess skin and muscle separation, this two problems can only be addressed by an abdominoplasty.The surgeons that recommended for you to loose weight, appear to be honest and ethical. 

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Factoring BMI is critical in MM patient selection

Thanks for your question and insight.  Given your height and weight, excisional procedures, such as TT, Breast lift and/or reduction may be considered "high risk" because of wound healing issues (infection, dehiscence, seroma, etc.) Even assuming the Mommy Makeover combo did not result in many complications, you might not be rewarded with the cosmetic outcomes you desired. Prepare by loosing some weight, to the level recommended by your PS.  By getting closer to your "ideal body weight", your results will be more sustainable.  Laser lipolysis can be used to reduce your midgirth, however no lipo variant will address abdominal musculofascial laxity (loose abdominal muscles), which resulted from your pregnancies.  

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Smart (laser) Lipo for better tummy scar versus traditional liposuction, which is better?

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your question and photo. It certainly is possible to do surgery on anyone with any BMI but the risk increases as your BMI increases. The more muscle you have the higher the BMI. Despite the the fact that you are more muscular, you seem based on your photo to have more intraabdominal fat that will not be removed with laser lipo or traditional. Weightloss is recommended first but lipo and tummy tuck is possible. Laser lipo will NOT improve your scar from the TT. It is done internally and not externally. See several board certified plastic surgeons and make sure that you find one that is going to take your safety first and not just your payment. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#mommymakeover #obesity      

Lipo Options for Mommy Makeovers

Mummy Tummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

Liposuction is the most commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States of America. New mothers sometimes experience redistribution of their body fat. Localized fat collections in the tummy, hips, thighs, and upper arms (to name a few of the more common areas) are treated easily and with excellent results, with either standard or the ultrasonic liposuction or power assisted liposuction. When combined with a sensible diet and exercise program you can successfully work toward regaining your pre-pregnancy body contours and clothing size.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon