How Long Does It Take for Sculptra to Work?Can I get both Sculpra for long term results & voluma/juvederm for short term?(photo)

I am 32 and started really noticing my face change in the last 2-3 years, and that has really depressed me. I know my face looks different but I am not sure what about it has exactly changed, although I do notice that my cheeks lost some volume and with that it created smile lines and under eye hollowness. I am not sure what is the best way to make my face look 10 years younger and I am wondering whether it is possible to use both sculptra for long term collagen production and voluma for results

Start with Sculptra

Sculptra would be an ideal choice for you, as it builds collagen and provides longer lasting results (two years or more).  Sculptra acts as the foundation, to build volume.  Treatment with hyaluronic acid fillers can be done later, if needed, for fine lines.  I would also encourage you to begin using Retin-A (tretinoin) to help build collagen in your skin.  Retin-A is a prescription cream that can be obtained through your dermatologist.  With consistent use, Retin-A will help prevent fine lines and will compliment your Sculptra results.   

Jupiter Dermatologic Surgeon

Start with Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jupiter Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra will take about 6 weeks to show results

After 6 weeks, Sculptra continues to evolve by changing the qualityof the skin to the better and very mild improving volumization. Fine tuning with a HA filler is a good idea. You can think of Sculptra as creating the structural support. It also takes about 3 sessions and the minimum of 4-5 months to get to the end result. Some patients want a sooner result and get HA filler at the same time so there is immediate gratification. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra and Results

Sculptra takes 3-6 months to show results, but often multiple vials are needed to get the ultimate long term results.  In the meantime I often add short term immediate fillers to get the initial results and then they are maintained with the Sculptra.  I typically do not inject sculptra on its own, I call it the "fertilizer on the lawn" as it stimulate collagen and helps lift, along with other procedures such as lasers, tightening, toxins, and other fillers.  Find someone who is a facial contouring specialist and can address your needs with both procedures and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra and Results

Sculptra versus Voluma

I use a great deal of both Sculptra and Voluma.  In your case you could use either and have amazing results. Juvederm Voluma provides instant results and will rejuvenate your skin after a single visit. Sculptra allows your own body to naturally build collagen and over the next 4 weeks you will see improvement. Both are excellent products. There is no need to have both injected. Sculptra will last for two years. The best results are really dependent on your injector. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with excellent experience in these facial injections for the best cosmetic results. 

Sculptra versus Voluma

JUVÉDERM® XC, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC and/or Sculptra® Aesthetic

Sculptra® Aesthetic is a facial volume enhancer that has a unique mechanism of action. Instead of just plumping up an area, it actually works by inducing collagen production under the skin surface; i.e. it builds thicker skin. Not surprisingly, this takes some time. We advise patients that two to four sessions about three weeks apart each will be necessary. The payoff is remarkable in most people and lasts for two to three years. It can be repeated as needed.

I think of JUVÉDERM® XC as an immediate answer for the short term (6-9 months) and JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC as a tool for the medium haul of 12-24 months. Location also makes a difference.

Sculptra® Aesthetic cannot be used in the lips or around the eyes, whereas Juvederm can. Voluma is specifically for enhancing the mid face. Scuptra is our “heavy hitter” of choice for large volume work along with fat grafting.

I would not recommend using both Sculptra and Voluma.  You may use JUVÉDERM® XC with either JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC or Sculptra® Aesthetic because these would not be to the same areas. 

Mitchell D. Kaye, MD
Clarksville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mitchell D. Kaye, MD
Clarksville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Juvéderm Voluma

Sculptra and Juvéderm Voluma are both great options for a younger person who is showing signs of volume loss in the outer cheek area. Sculptra is a collagen-stimulator, not a filler, and it creates a gradual and natural-looking increase in volume over weeks to months. Juvéderm Voluma is a space-occupying filler, and therefore, gives instant gratification. Both can give a similar long-lasting improvement once full correction is achieved. There's not a right-or-wrong answer as to which to use. I use lots of both of them and love them both. It's best to have a consultation with a very experienced physician who uses both of them on a regular basis and can give you a personalized consultation and explain all the pros and cons of each.

Sculptra vs Juvéderm Voluma

Sculptra injections in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in Sculptra injections and we are a leading provider of Sculptra in Los Angeles. We have found that Sculptra will continue to improve for 3 months after injection.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Sculptra injections in Los Angeles

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

I recommend Sculptra

Thank you for posting a photo. It looks like you would be a great candidate for Sculptra; this facial filler will restore a more youthful look that can last up to two years. Sculptra is great for those areas that have lost volume over the years. Consult with your doctor to decide if this is best for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

I recommend Sculptra

Bruce E. Katz, MD

How Long Does It Take for Sculptra to Work?Can I get both Sculpra for long term results & voluma/juvederm for short term?

Sculpture is a muliple sessions of injections - at least 4 to 6 series. Costs near $3,000 and NO guarantee of great enhancement.. I do not recommend. 

Sculptra & Voluma at the same time?

Hi Northport.  Thanks for your question.  We do have some patients that use traditional fillers like Restylane and Juvederm at the same time as Sculptra.  The reason is that they want the short term result but also want to invest in a longer term program.  As the Hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane and Juvederm degrade, the Sculptra takes over, using your own collagen to build volume in the cheeks and midface.  

In your case, you are a good candidate for both and we would focus in the short term on using Restylane under the eyes and longer term using Sculptra for volume in the cheeks.  

Good luck and for before and after photos of Los Angeles Scultra injections, click the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Sculptra & Voluma at the same time?

Harold J. Kaplan, MD