How often does insurance cover a Tummy tuck after bariatric surgery?

I am 55 years old and had bariatric surgery 4 years ago. I have lost 75 lbs.

Not generally covered by insurance

Tummy tucks are generally not covered by insurance, even following bariatric surgery. However, if you have excess skin and fat that hangs below your waist (pannus) this apron of fat may be removed under insurance. The procedure is called a panniculectomy and would only remove the pannus.

GreetingsThank you for your question, Unfortunately Insurance does not cover for any type of cosmetic / Plastic Surgery. If you have a special insurance cover you can inquire this with your Insurance.

Unfortunately, insurance will cover the actual bariatric surgery, but denies most claims when it comes to correcting the skin deformity created by massive weight loss. It just depends on your exam and the degree of excess skin and any difficulties you suffer from the skin on skin contact, like rashes and fungal infection. I recommend evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to better guide you.

Usually never. Unless you have a very special policy that covers elective cosmetic surgery, you will have to foot the bill for the cosmetic parts. Insurances now charge more and more and cover less and less. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

How often does insurance cover a Tummy tuck after bariatric surgery? = usually never #tt #tummytuck

A medical insurance usually never covers a tummy tuck even if performed after bariatric weight loss surgery.Sometimes insurance covers what is called 'panniculectomy', which is the removal of the excess of skin of the lower tummy if it covers the genital area. A panniculectomy is not a tummy tuck. 

John Mesa, MD