Is swelling normal 4 days post op?

I had a breast augmentation 4 days ago. I am 5"7 and 120lbs. I had 170cc silicone gel placed under the muscle. I just wanted some shape back after nursing. I'm so scared that I went to big. My breast look huge. Will the swelling go down or will they stay like this. I have so much anxiety I can't do anything!!!!!!

Is swelling normal 4 days post op?

Please please relax.  You are only 4 days postop and your implants and breast swelling combined thank you look much larger than you will be after implants have settled and dropped.  The 170 implants are quite small and I seriously doubt that she will feel too big after they have adjusted to your body which can take up to 3 months.  Please try to relax and give yourself time to heal.

Swelling

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided pictures and information as well. 

Is really normal to be swollen with just 4 days after surgery,  it is still too early to make a final judgment on the size, shape, and projection. Over the next several weeks, and even over the next several months, you will still see some continued changes in your breasts. Wait to make your final judgment, and continue to work with your surgeon during this follow-up time period. 

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Swelling , some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down over the first 3 months and your breasts will drop into their pockets. If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would continue to wear your surgical bra, ice your breasts on and off and perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implants

170 cc implants are really, really small. There are only a few sizes smaller and most of my patients will go for much larger implants in the 300-500 range.  Probably what you are seeing is more swelling.  This can several months to improve.

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

Swelling is normal after any surgery. It takes weeks to resolve. The implant size of 170 is on the small side , so I would be very optimistic that you will achieve the look you desire, once healing is complete.Limit salt intake and be patient! 

Some times, the sudden change in breast size is overwhelming and it akes time for the body image to adjust. Dont let the anxiety control you. You will probably just love them very soon!

Too Big After Breast Augmentation? #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• 4 days after a breast augmentation is much too soon to see your final results!
  • Chances are you'll be very happy with your final results.
  • Due to swelling, muscle spasm, and the fact that implants tend to ride high for awhile until the lower pole breast skin stretches to accommodate the implant, your breasts may look too large for awhile.
  • By 3 months, the implants have usually settled into place, and everything looks great.
  • Hang in there!

Swelling 4 days post-op

Congratulations on your breast augmentation surgery. Most patients are swollen anywhere from 6 weeks to several months following their breast augmentation surgery. Since you are only 4 days following surgery it is very normal to be swollen and your breasts to look blunted in their size and shape. With some time this will resolve, hang in there! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.