I'm about 5 weeks post op. Can I expect more symmetry as things settle? (Photos)

I'm concerned about the divot under right breast and the implants still so high. Right implant dropping a hair slower than left. Will everything even out? I just started using a band at night, and massage the tops.

Implants high

The best thing you can do to encourage dropping of your implants is a breast band. I recommend the Mermaid breast band. Also, try not to use your arms as much as possible.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Three Months Minimum To See Results

Anytime you undergo a breast augmentation and lift at the same time, the results are going to take longer to see.  A minimum of three months is often needed to allow everything to relax and settle.  I recommend massaging the breasts 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes each time, as well as laying on them for 5-10min before going to bed.  These maneuvers can help relax the tissues and settle the implants.  When you hit the three month mark, I would address the results with your surgeon and see what is recommended at that time.  I hope this helps.

Can I expect more symmetry as breast implants settle?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation/lifting procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final results. In my practice, patients hear me say "sisters not twins" several times before surgery;  in other words, achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding with surgery is important,  in that perfect  symmetry is very rarely achieved.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the press to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

In cases where significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery.  Patients undergoing breast augmentation/lifting surgery, as you have, have a greater likelihood of requiring revisionary breast surgery compared to patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery alone.  
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,There are quite a bit of asymmetries, and your implants appear very large. One thing for certain is that you don't need to massage. It will not improve normal healing, nor does it prevent or treat capsular contracture. Breast bands won't do anything either. Augmentation mastopexy is a complex surgery that requires skill and a lot of experience to do well. It has a higher complication rate than augmentation or mastopexy alone.  It is a surgery where breast volume simultaneously increases while skin surface area decreases. Your breast implants appear asymmetric in size and position on your chest wall, with both appearing way to large for your anatomy. You've got many more weeks to heal.  If you still have issues and your surgeon is not a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon, then you should seek a second opinion with a few who are.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS