Umbilical Hernia Surgery with a Breast Fat Transfer? Referral for double certified General / Plastic Surgeon in So. California?

After two pregnancies and nursing, I was gifted an umbilical hernia and uneven breasts. I would love to have them both fixed at the same time, as I have met my ins. deductible for the year ($6000). Is this a safe possibility? I am also looking for referrals for a double certified (general/plastic) surgeon in Southern California that has a lot of experience in both surgeries, great fat retention percentages, and is very skilled at liposuction (worried about dimples, unevenness, etc). Thanks!

Umbilical hernia and Fat transfer to breasts

I see a lot of patients with exactly these issues and both procedures can be done safely. The best thing to do is see several board certified surgeons in your area and see what your options are and what procedures will give you the best outcome. I hope this helps!!

Ritu Chopra MD

Thank you for your question.  Below, I am attaching a link to the american society of plastic surgeons website that will allow you to search for board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. It will give you a list of physicians based on their distance from your location. Both procedures can be safely performed at the same time but coverage for the umbilical hernia will have to go through your insurance company while your breasts would likely be considered cosmetic.  Hope that this helps

Combined Procedures Such as in a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radio frequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical #hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

Many procedures can be combined. Cosmetic procedures such as Brazilian Butt Lift (#BBL), Thigh Lift (#TL) and Mommy Makeover (#MMO), which usually concentrates on the breast and abdomen areas, may be combined together. However, I look at the risk factors such as surgery time greater than 6 hours, or #anesthesia time, increased risks of DVT, prolonged  #healing, #positioning after surgery to name a few, which are a lot to consider. These factors are relative to performing any variety of combinations.  
The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations. 

Mommy Makeover - Finding A Surgeon?

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your surgery. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in breast and body contouring procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. You should go on several consultations and see who you like the best. Hope this helps.

Umbilical Hernia repair and fat grafting to the breast

Both operations can be done at the same time and I agree with your decision to pursue a double board certified plastic surgeon. Meaning a surgeon who has completed both a General Surgical and Plastic Surgical residency as there are other routes of training to plastic surgery which would allow you to claim double board certification.

That being said, umbilical hernia repair and liposuction alone may not be the best procedure to achieve your desired aesthetic. After 2 pregnancies there may be laxity in the abdominal wall which will not  be addressed by the liposuction. Muscle repair and corrections of umbilical hernias can be accomplished at the time of a tummy tuck yielding an improved aesthetic and a better placement of the periumbilical scar.

Fat transfer to the breast can easily be done at the same time but a lift is most likely going to be needed to address the breast asymmetry.

Seek out a double board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and help you choose the right procedure to meet your aesthetic goals. I suggest visiting smartbeautyguide.org  and reviewing the find a surgeon portal.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair and fat transfer

It is best to discuss your goals with a plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and explain the options which would best fit your goals. Often times after pregnancy and nursing, significant changes in breast volume and shape can occur. This may or may not require an implant, lift, fat grafting, or a combination of different procedures to achieve the best outcome. If you are a good candidate, fat grafting can be carefully performed as long as the area around the hernia is avoided. The hernia itself can be repaired at the same surgery. Fat retention is variable due to the nature of fat grafting but some harvest and injection techniques tend to do better than others. It is best to have a thorough examination by a plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with to come up with a safe and effective plan for your abdomen and breasts. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Umbilical hernia and breast fat transfer - is this a safe combination

Thank you for asking about your umbilical hernia and breast fat transfers.

• Yes, it is safe to have both procedures at once.
  • Most plastic surgeons are qualified to correct an umbilical hernia -
  • Be sure to discuss the pros/cons of breast fat transfer - 
  • Between 40 - 70% of injected fat is absorbed -
  • Often results look lovely right away because of swelling - but final result tend to be about a 1/2 a breast cup size to a cup at most.
  • It can be an excellent operation - for the right woman.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Management of an umbilical hernia after pregnancy.

If you are anticipating an abdominoplasty repair of an umbilical hernia is part of the operation. If you want only repair of the umbilical hernia it can easily be done with the breast surgery. Umbilical hernia repair by itself can be done with local anesthesia or small amount of IV sedation and local anesthesia.

Combined procedures

Thank you for the question and as these procedures are routinely done together you should have no trouble finding an expert in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD