Would Rhinoplasty and a Chin Implant help my face look more proportionate? (photos)

Hello. I'm twenty one and have a delicately-featured face. Overall, I consider myself a pretty girl. However, I feel like my nose is large in comparison to the rest of my face, and detracts from my appearance. It also spreads when I smile. I also know that I have a weak chin, and would like opinions. Thank you in advance for any responses!

Chin augmentation and rhinoplasty

You do have a very delicate face and I would caution against doing much, if anything, to your nose.  I would like to see a profile view to be complete but the frontal views provided look very nice.  It is normal for the nose to widen when we smile as the muscle contractions that create a smile will naturally widen the nostrils.  A more complete physical examination would need to be done to assess whether a nostril narrowing procedure would be beneficial for you.

I would suggest a chin implant before any other intervention.  You have a very strong upper face and adding to the chin will balance your appearance.  Chin implants will create a different "look" so that is something to strongly consider prior to moving forward.  

A thorough consultation with imaging I think would aid you greatly in your decision making process.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant

Hello and thank you for your question. You do have soft features that may benefit with a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation. You should seek a consultation with a board-certified surgeon who can have your photos digitally imaged and offer the best solution that can give you an overall proportionate and feminine face. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Will Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation Balance my Facial Aesthetics

Dear 11stardust_wanderlust11, Thank you for your inquiry regarding chin augmentation and rhinoplasty. A profile photograph would be helpful in determining candidacy for these procedures. I would suggest at this time you seek some consultations with experts in the field of rhinoplasty surgery who also use digital imaging during the consultation phase. Imaging will show you how these procedures would look on you and you could better decide if these changes would be the desired results you are looking for. See some examples of rhinoplasty results in the link below and the imaging process in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Multiple procedures

Thank you for your question.  The best advice is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that they may conduct an in person evaluation.  During that time they may utilize imaging software to allow you to see what an implant and different types of corrections can be made through rhinoplasty.  You will be able to addresses your goals and work together to create the surgical plan that will best help you achieve your overall desired look.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

A Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Would Look More Proportionate But Maybe Not Better

The nose and chin do help to give overall balance to the rest of the features on the face.  You do have very wide cheeks and a relatively small chin.  While this does give you a very pretty, delicate appearance, making the chin a bit bigger may balance things a bit better. If you do decide to change the size of the your chin, you will need to reassess whether or not you need to do anything to your nose. With that said, you have to be very careful with any changes that you make.  While it is true that your face may be better balanced with a larger chin, it definitely will change the very pretty, delicate appearance that you have now.  While aesthetically that may look better, it may not be what you are looking for.  Make an appointment with an experienced facial surgeon who does computer imaging as a part of his or her preoperative consultation.  Being able to see what your face would look like with a bigger chin and a smaller nose is incredibly important before proceeding.  Good luck.

Would like to do anything T her nose.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose and Chin Proportions

Please visit a few rhinoplasty specialists to get your photos digitally imaged so you can see how you'll look with a rhinoplasty and/or an implant.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

More views would be helpful but it does appear from the frontal view that your chin is weak. Refining the nose as well as addressing the weak chin with an implant can help to align and harmonize the facial features. I would schedule a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to get a thorough evaluation and better idea about the most appropriate procedure for you. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. In order to fully evaluate your chin, a lateral profile view would be helpful.  If you do have a chin implant, I highly recommend a medpor implant with screw fixation.  Silicone chin implants have a high rate of malrotation over time.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

Your face is attractive as is so don't do too much.  A rhinoplasty would improve the tip and a release of a muscle in the septum would keep your nose from drooping with a smile. I would need to see the side profile or, better yet, have an in-office consultation.  I appears that a small chin implant would help also.  Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD

Facial balance, chin plants and rhinoplasty

You do indeed have a pretty face!

The bottom third of the face could benefit from slight augmentation (there are ways to increase vertical height slightly), to increase the visual appearance of that region.  Rhinoplasty could also help; however the primary feature you may want to address is the bottom third of the face.

Brent Moelleken, MD