How painful is thigh and behind liposuction?

My doctor suggested I get lipo in my behind and inner thighs. I am getting the mommy makeover with a hernia repair. I never thought my legs were bad. She suggested it during my consultation. I am now hearing it is quite painful to recover from and can leave saggy skin? Is it worth it? Does it make a huge difference?

Liposuction of buttocks and inner thighs

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • You MUST choose your own cosmetic surgery.
  • You are doing this for yourself.
  • If your legs did not bother you - leave them alone.
  • Liposuction can leave skin saggy.
  • Liposuction of the buttocks will be painful afterwards - you will have nowhere comfortable to lit or sit. 
  • Have your mommy make-over as planned. 
  • Have additional procedures later if you want them. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thigh lipo

Whether or not liposuction will leave saggy skin depends on your skins ability to tighten after the procedure.  The older we get and the more stretched our skin has been, the less likely it will go back.  If your thighs don't bother you, then you should not have them operated on.  You won't be happy unless you are doing it for yourself.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Is liposuction painful?

Every person responds in a different way but liposculpture with tumescent solution usually is not that painful and my patients are usually able to return to full activity quite soon.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Minimal pain

Liposuction in any area should not cause significant pain after the surgery, but it can be painful during the surgery without significant sedation, and general anesthesia can be an excellent option depending on how stoic you are.  Today, if you are healthy, the risks of general anesthesia with a board certified anesthesiologist are extremely small, and would be my choice for myself.  Injecting a long acting local anesthetic at the end of the surgery really  reduces post-operative pain, and makes the recovery quicker and easier.  While the results can be dramatic, the decision to proceed can ONLY be yours.  NEVER have any surgery because of what anyone else says alone.

Liposuction procedure is not painful at all.

Liposuction is a very easy procedure to undergo under tumescent local and is not painful but the recovery is a little sore and needs pain pills for a couple of days.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and I would suggest correcting what bothers you not someone else and the mommy makeover with hernia repair clearly is a more painful procedure then liposuction on your thighs
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring - LEG CONTOURING

My patients are back at normal activities in a day, in a few days no drainage, very little pain, and back to gym in 3 weeks. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thighs lipo and pain

Hello,  thank you for sharing your doubts.  Pain after surgery can vary from one patient to another but usually patients have a good pain tolerance with conventional painkillers.   You should talk again to your PS about the possibility of having sagging skin after thighs liposuction.  This is an area where care most be taken to avoid this issue.   If this areas doesn't bother you I suggest not to have liposuction done.  Have a great day.  My best wishes.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD