Can anything be done other than a neck lift for my neck skin and jowl issue?

Can anything be done other than a neck lift for my neck skin and jowl issues. I've had good results from filler. I did a smart lipo and sling procedure 3 1/2 years ago. I think that may have made it worse. Ultherapy hasn't worked. Can I get Voluma under my chin or neck area?

I treat neck laxity with a combination of VASER Hi Def Lipo with ThermiRF/other skin tightening treatments, and filler to sculpt the jawline. Quality of skin can be improved with lasers and good skin care. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma Not For Neck Area

Not, Voluma is not designed to treat the neck area. Although there are non-surgical options out there, I am not sure that they can deliver the results that you desire. Once the skin gets lax, the only way to "lift" it is to remove it with a neck lift. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Neck & Jowel therapy - Platelet-Rich Plasma, Radio frequency Skin tightening, Kybella (Deoxycholic acid) treatments

Based on your pictures, you are a very good candidate for radio frequency skin tightening for the laxity of the skin.  It will require 4 - 6 treatments, based on your consultation with your doctor.  In conjunction you will benefit with Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injections that builds collagen and result accumulates over time.  To slim and contour submental fat micro injections of Kybella which is a deoxycholic acid is very beneficial.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Non-Surgical Options For Neck and Jowls

You would need an in-person consultation and evaluation to determine which treatment is most appropriate for you. Looking at your pictures, you may be a good candidate for ThermiTight. However, it is important to have realistic expectations about what non-surgical options can achieve when compared to surgery. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

The Neck & Jowl Problem

Thank you for your question.  You have a problem that is best handled with a simple lower lift.  The jowl area is a complex problem as we age and at some point the best way to handle it is with surgery.  Unfortunately, I think you have reached that point based on the photographs.  You have tried other solutions and the problem remains.  The solution for loose skin is to tighten and re-drape it and at the same time lift the jowl area.  The neck can be greatly improved with a simple lift.  Surgery is easier now and the techniques have improved drastically.  Your neck and jowls can be attended to under local anesthesia with a great result.  You should look at the surgeon's photos from other patients and make sure the neck can be done to your satisfaction.Good luck.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Skin tightening vs surgery

Skin tightening is the Holy Grail of cosmetic devices. The problem is, none of the devices are quite there yet, as you experienced with your Ultherapy treatment. That is not to say that there is no tightening, it is just that most of these devices do not provide enough tightening to satisfy the desired results. 

Injectables like Kybella can get excellent results in the neck and lower face by altering fat, but patient selection is key here, and if excess skin is the main issue, you can be setting yourself up for big disappointment by trying to treat with an injectable.

Surgery is always an option, and newer techniques make it as minimally invasive and safe as possible. Results are excellent and predictable.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Poor face results from multiple procedures.

Poor face results from multiple procedures. Only a full facelift will give you the improvement you want IF done by a very experienced revision facelift surgeon. As you have found out-mini procedures give mini results or make it worse.

Tightening jowls and neck

Outside of surgery, this area can be treated with the Infini fairly well. It is the best skin tightening device I've seen. Also, PDO threads can be used in combination with the Infini for better improvement of the jowls and upper neck. Both procedures are relatively new so you have to search out someone for these. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sagging Neck and Jowls and Thermage

One of the best non-surgical ways to treat the aging neck is Thermage. Thermage will produce new collagen and tighten the skin.  Voluma can also be placed in the cheeks to help give you skin a lift as well.  If you have too much skin laxity you may need a lower face lift.  Please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph. Based on your picture it appears that you have sufficient skin laxity and excess in your neck and jawline region that only a facelift/neck lift operation would be of benefit.  Voluma is not an appropriate treatment, nor is Kybella.  Hope this helps.