I'm 4 months post neck and jowl lift. I have a long pleat from the bottom of my earlobe about 1.5".

where the pleat starts is very hard lump. My dr. used steroid injections , scar subcision neither worked. Now he wants to try Hyaluronic acid injection into the pleat. I would prefer a surgical revision of the scar. However I'm willing to give the Hyaluronic acid a try. Do you think the injection will work and how long will it last?

S/p facelift with a pleat

In order to best answer your questions a photo is needed so that we can appreciate what your concerns are.

Irregular contour of neck following neck and cheek lift

Hi, winmargo! I'm sorry to hear that your results are not exactly what you'd envisioned. Hopefully, the general appearance and improvement aside from this concern has made this a rewarding process for you overall.

It is difficult to say exactly what is going on without seeing photographs or personally examining you. Perhaps you could post those? It sounds as though you have developed some scarring below the skin surface with a resulting contour irregularity. I agree that in such a case, use of steroid injections -with or without 5FU - into a scar may be appropriate. Subcision can also be helpful.

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm Ultra (Plus), Juvederm Voluma, and Belotero can provide a temporary improvement in contour by filling in the low points, bringing them closer to the high points. These fillers gernerally have a life span of approximately six months to 2 years, depending upon the location, specific product type, and metabolism of your body. Their ability to give you the big improvement you’re looking for depends upon the severity of the contour irregularity and your budget.  A longer term consideration is autologous fat transfer, but your candidacy for such a procedure depends upon a number of factors I can't really evaluate here.  Hope this information helps and you ultimately get the confidence that you're looking for!

Jeffrey L. Schmidt, MD
Englewood Facial Plastic Surgeon