I had CoolSculpting procedure done 6 days ago and the pain is really bad now. Feel needles stabbing in my stomach.

Is it ok to take Ibuprofen or does it really interfere with fat metabolism? Can I try Bengay? What would you recommend? How much longer is this pain going to go on?

Pain after CoolSculpting

There is a small percentage of patients who can develop the stabbing pain in the stomach after CoolSculpting, that you describe.  It is thought to be a neuropathic type of pain and can be treated with a prescription medication.  You should contact the physician who treated you to discuss your problem and see if the prescription can be called in for you.  The pain can last for several days.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after CoolSculpting

It is not uncommon to have delayed onset pain after a Coolsculpting procedure. This pain is more commonly experienced with abdominal Coolsculpting. It starts 3-5 days after the procedure and can last 10 days or so. This pain is nerve based and is best treated with Neurontin. Ask your physician to prescribe you some.
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Late Onset Pain

Occasionally, patients develop a more intense pain following CoolSculpting called late onset pain.  It occurs most commonly in the abdomen 3-5 days following treatment.  The good news is the pain will typically resolve on its own in a few weeks.  However, I would recommend following up with your treating provider.  They may offer prescription medications (such as gabapentin) or lidocaine patches to minimize the discomfort.  Fortunately, while uncomfortable, late onset pain does not minimize the results of your treatment in any way.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Delayed onset pain after Coolsculpt

Delayed onset pain is known to happen in a small percentage of people after coolsculpt; It is more common after treatment on the abdomen; It typically starts about 3-5 days after coolsculpt and is relatively resistant to treatment with typical pain meds. It will not hurt to try them (ibuprofen or tylenol or narcotics); what has been found to work is Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica, which are by prescription only. You should contact your physician for this. Other things that can help are activity, compression (spanx) and time...it typically resolves in about a week.  

CoolSculpting and post treatment pain

There are a small percentage of patients who can develop the stabbing pain in the stomach that you describe - this is a rare occurrence after CoolSculpting a treatment. It is related to the nerves and can be treated with a prescription medication. You should contact the physician who treated you to discuss your problem.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

A very small subset of patients have pain after Coolsculpting.  Your physician can prescribe you a medication which will give you relief.  These symptoms should not last more than a week but I would contact your treating physician.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting pain

The pain you are describing is an uncommon but well-described experience for some patients. There are a few things that have been shown to help: compression, ibuprofen and prescription neuron tin (gabapentin). The good news is that the pain always resolves, usually within a week.

Coolsculpting Pain and Swelling

This can happen and is best treated with NSAIDs like indomethacin or ibuprofen, oral neurontin (gabapentin), and compression garments.  Please see your board certified physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain after CoolSculpting

The pain that you are describing could be from prolonged nerve pain that happens with some patients after CoolSculpting . It can be relieved by getting a prescription from your doctor. You can take Ibuprofen to help relieve the pain but if the pain persists contact and see your doctor for a follow up. I wish you the best of luck!

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Severe Pain After CoolSculpting

This is a rare occurrence that happens after CoolSculpting. It is related to the nerves. It will fully resolve, but it may take a couple of weeks. You can try Ibuprofen, however, if that doesn't work then you should contact your treatment physician who can prescribe something stronger for you.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon