Would breast implants cause back pain? (photos)

Im considering getting 350cc silicone soon. I'm 5'1" and 108lbs. But some other docs say I should get only 250cc. Im worried about getting back pain.

Will I get back pain with breast implants?

It is very unusual, but possible, to get back pain with implants, even larger ones. If you have a large body, then you can usually have larger implants and vice versa. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon and be advised on the best choice for you

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation

Would breast implants cause back pain?

Thank you for the question and photo. I would not think that a 250-350cc breast implant would contribute to back pain but it will be best to be examined by a well experienced plastic surgeon.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast implants and back pain

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure in person and what to realistically expect. Then you can make an informed decision on size and shape. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome. We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration YOUR desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

Breast Augmentation and Back Pain

I understand your concern. As plastic surgeons we do breast reduction surgery for large breasted women to help with back pain but the volumes we remove are very large. 250-350 are modest volumes which should not lead to the development of back pain. To narrow the point further the difference in weight of 100 gm between the 250 and 350 cc would be insignificant.The volume of breast implant you chose should be based on the dimensions of your breast and the aesthetic you desire. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss these issues in more detail.Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Back pain following breast augmentation?

In 30 years I have never seen permanent back pain as a result of breast enlargement surgery.  I have seen  temporary back pain in a few patients which resolves within a few days or a week of surgery.  
I always recommend that the choice of the implant be made by the surgeon during the operation when the actual outcome can be seen while you are asleep.  Discuss your goals carefully with your surgeon and allow him/her to do their best job to achieve your goals based on size, shape and contour.  I prefer the use of sizers and keep in mind the patient's goals before making the final implant choice.  I feel this gives the optimal result and takes the burden off the patient for the responsibility of choosing the final implant.  Best of luck and good wishes, Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Back pain

Thank you for the question and adding weight to your breasts can theoretically cause back pain but at the volumes you have mentioned I have never seen it occur.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD