Would a Botox injection work for a small sweat gland area I have near my temple?

I had mandibukar reconstruction when I was 16 and due to a complication in the surgery, I know sweat when I eat. The sweat occurs at my left temple. What can I do to fix this, Botox? How much would that cost?

Botox injection for a small sweat gland area

Botox is often used to help increased production of sweat. In your case, it is possible to utilize botox to prevent sweating- however we would have to be careful to make sure it was not in a position that would also prevent drooping/relaxation of a muscle. I would suggest scheduling an in-person consultation so that we could see where exactly the botox would need to be placed. Botox used for relaxation of muscles and/or hyperhydrosis is priced the same, per unit. Depending on the number of units needed, that would determine your price.

Columbus Physician

Gustatory sweating can be treated with Botox

This is easily treated with Botox. It depends on the units needed as to the cost. This most often occurs when people have parotidectomy and it is called Frey's Syndrome. It is not a permanent solution and will require treatments about every 4 months. Please see an experienced injector for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for Crocodile Tears (Facial Sweating When Eating)

Hi Megan,Yes, Botox with work for your facial sweating that occurs when you eat (Crocodile Tears, or Frey's Syndrome.)  It should not take too many units depending on the size of the area.  Good luck and be well.Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botulinum toxin for sweating

Botulinum toxin works quite well for sweating of the palms, armpits, and other specialized areas.  Of course the effect of the botulinum toxin should be balanced with the effect it will have on the underlying muscles.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Botox for sweating

Yes Botulinum toxin injections can be helpful for sweating.  I've used it for forehead sweating, palms, feet, and armpits.  Careful dosing is needed on the face to avoid aesthetically displeasing muscle paralysis or asymmetry.  The good news is that the hyperhidrosis (sweating) benefit last longer than it does for wrinkles.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for sweating on face

botox works really well for controlling sweating with results lasting up to 9 months. I treat a number of patients with sweating in the area surrounding the nose. I think it could be really helpful and would recommend seeing a dermatologist with experience. Best of luck!

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for sweating on the face

Thank you for your question megan21992. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. It is also used for excessive sweating in the underarms, palms, and soles. I have never heard of Botox being used for sweating on the face. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Frey's Syndrome

Hello, and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear you had this complication, which is known is Frey's Syndrome.There are various options including topical and oral medications, as well as Botox. Cost would depend on a lot of factors, so it's impossible to give a quote without examining you and developing a treatment plan. I therefore recommend seeing a dermatologist. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon