Tummy tuck non board certified PS? (Photo)

I just posted but left out some info. I am very close to booking with a ps for a skin only tt. He does not have his board certification. I have read almost 30 great reviews and talked to 4 people who love his work. He has been doing ps for 15 years. I have seen lots of before and after pics & they look great! Now here is the thing. does having a board certification really make you better? This is so scary for me! And he's he has 4 hospital privalages around' thank you again for all your answers!

TT by a non board certified PS? Ask yourself why he is not board certified? Personally, I would not do any procedure that I was not adequately trained and certified in, and I don't understand those who do. Being certified in a specific specialty means that they have been trained and certified that they are competent in that specialty. Complication can and do occur with surgical procedures, especially abdominoplasties. Bottom line, the risk is diminished with someone who is board certified, and generally the results are better. Good luck with your surgery.

Tummy tuck non board certified PS?

GreetingsThank you for your question, the best is to chose a  Board Certification surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for your safety. If you have already chosen this surgeon then you should be prepared for the risks that could happen after.Good luck with your surgery.

Not board certified - bad idea

The explanation you posted as to why the surgeon is not board-certified is ridiculous.    That is not how board certification works.   "A couple if document type items" is all that was needed for his board certification but he missed the deadline? Give me a break. The fact that he started practicing right out of training is not unusual, it is actually what every plastic surgeon does. Plastic surgeons who seek board certification are required to practice for a year prior to sitting for their written and oral board examinations.   Board-certified surgeons understand the immense workload required to achieve and maintain our certification.  You are unlikely to find someone on this forum, which only allows comments from board-certified surgeons, who will suggest that you should go to a lesser qualified surgeon.  Please do yourself a favor and at least seek other consultations from board-certified plastic surgeons.  I wish you the very best!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck non board certified PS?

When having plastic surgery done, a key quality indicator is Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This certification will give you the confidence that you´re being treated by a surgeon with the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.

Tummy tuck non board certified PS

I think having been in practice for 15 years and not being board certified is a red flag. There must be a reason why he does not have the certification. You do not have to be board certified to have hospital privileges

Julio Garcia, MD

Non board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question.The fact that it is scary for you would seem to indicate that there is some doubt.  This is quite normal of all patients and I recommend all patients seeking an elective cosmetic procedure see a few board certified plastic surgeons.  Are there non board certified plastic surgeons that perform plastic surgery safely? Yes there are.  Are there board certified plastic surgeons that are not comfortable with elective cosmetic procedures? Yes, many plastic surgeons choose to focus on reconstructive, hand, or pediatric procedures.  My recommendation is choose the surgeon that you are comfortable with and have full faith that if a complication occurs they can get you through it safely.Board certification is a long process and it takes knowledge, time, effort, and significant money to complete.  Your post would seem to indicate your surgeon should be board eligible by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Is there a legitimate reason why in 15 years of practice they have not become certified? One could only speculate.  I would invite you to read my blog or others on board certification and their importance.  The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) goes a step further than board certification in plastic surgery and members are not only board certified but also demonstrated additional time, experience, or training in aesthetic surgery.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Hello,  thank you for your question.  You have done a wonderful job doing your research before having surgery,  but you have to consider that not all before and after, pics or comments about a PS practice is published.   Getting surgery with a board certified PS will give you the confidence that you're getting the service of a professional who has passed 6-7 years of a very rigorous training on plastic surgery.   I suggest you look for a PS in your area and don't only see photos on a website that sometimes can be a tricky.  Have a great day.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Ultimately, the decision is up to you. I always recommend having a board certified plastic surgeon perform any type of cosmetic surgery but it looks as though you have done your research, read his reviews, looked at his work and spoken to previous patients. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with some other plastic surgeons, preferably board certified, so you can compare their work, reviews and see how your relationship is with them. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Board certification

Having your boards merely means you passed an exam it doesn't mean you are necesaarily a good surgeon.Talk to your family doctor and check to see if he has been sanctiuoned by the state and maybe speak to some of his patients.I will let my patients speak to other patients who have had a similar procedure done.In the end don't forget to say some prayers.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Board certification

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many aspects of your surgeon that a patient should research prior to committing to surgery.  You have done a good job with your research.  I do believe that you should seek consultation with another surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and see how you feel.  It is such a big decision that you should at least schedule another consultation and see how you feel.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you feel comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD