Tummy tuck not board certified ps. Any suggestions?

I found a ps I really like but just found out he is not board certified. I am going for a skin only tummy tuck. I really got along with the doctor and staff. Had a great consultation, he has good reviews on Facebook but can't find much on here. 5 reviews here. 3 were great 2 were fat transfer issues. Is a tummy tuck something that really should be only done by board certified ps. His secretary said he averages 2 tummy tucks a week. I attached her response for him not having boards. Thanks!

I would ONLY recommend going to a board certified plastic surgeon especially for a tummy tuck.

Board certification in plastic surgery is an arduous process that assures each physician meets the standards set by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This is the only way to assure that your surgeon is qualified and trained properly to perform these complex surgeries. This is even more important when considering a tummy tuck procedure which can go very poorly in the wrong hands. 

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

The chosen one, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
I usually tell my patients that the first step for a safe plastic surgery is to choose a board certified aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon. This should have a personal website containing details of his professional biography and some photos of the procedures performed. Your plastic surgeon should be  transparent and a honest person with you, with ethical and human values, and especially with good reputation and history. Also, it's much better if this doctor have special training and experience in procedures like the one you're interested. Finally, i invite you to send your photos to give you more information of interest for you. Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-        

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

Plastic Surgery boards are not difficult to pass if you are properly trained. It is your decision but I would expect my surgeon to be board certified with great recommendations.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Board Certification

As has been said, board certification gives you assurance that the surgeon is knowledgeable and experienced in the procedure. Just because someone does a lot of a procedure, like the person you mention, does not mean that they know how to do the procedure correctly. For example, I believe there should never be a "skin only tummy tuck." Anyone who has significant excess skin also has significant lax muscle fascia, the cover of the muscle just under the fat layer, because the fascia has to stretch to stretch the skin. If you are going to tighten the skin, you also need to tighten the fascia.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery.  Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the gold standard.   It is also a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck not board certified ps. Any suggestions

I think it is always best to seek out care by a board certified surgeon. Without knowing more about the surgeon, I cannot say, but at a minimum, make sure he trained as a true plastic surgeon instead of just a week end, course. Anyone can claim to be a plastic surgeon, so check their credentials.

Julio Garcia, MD

Not board certified

Would you get on an airplane with a pilot who has not had the highest level of training and met the most stringent certification, even if he  told you that he flies successfully several times a week? Probably not.  The fact that the office staff has to come up with an explanation as to why their surgeon has not met the highest credentials is all you need to know.  You should put more relevance in the certification process of the American Board of Plastic Surgery than you do a few online reviews.  The fact that you got along well with the doctor and office staff is great, but when you're asleep under anesthesia and the surgeon picks up a scalpel, that is also of little relevance. You also need to ask yourself what would happen if you had a serious complication. Non-board-certified surgeons cannot maintain hospital admitting privileges.  This means that he or she would have to hand off your care to a board-certified plastic surgeon who could manage your issue if you were hospitalized.  There are many excellent board-certified plastic surgeon is in Huntersville and Charlotte.   I encourage you to seek a consultation with one of them.   Come and see me!   I would love to meet you.  There is no guarantee of a successful surgical outcome, no matter what the credentials are, but board-certified physicians are the most qualified and will offer the greatest chance of success.   Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with not a board certified ps?

Thank you for your question. Tummy tuck is a very powerful procedure in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in these procedures. 

Thank you for your excellent question.  There is little reason for a surgeon to complete a full plastic surgery residency and not finish with obtaining their board certification.  I would investigate further as to why they are not board certified - just out of training, failed a certification attempt, etc.  This can better help you determine if your comfort level with a tummy tuck procedure is sufficient for your piece of mind.  Otherwise I recommend using the link below to find a local ASPS board certified plastic surgeon.