I'm planning a cruise 4 weeks post tummy tuck without muscle repair. Will this be long enough to recover? (Photo)

I am planning on found my surgery the first of November. My ps said I don't need muscle repair. Is 4 weeks enough time befor going on a cruise ? I don't plan on doing a lot of swimming. Mostly just relaxing and enjoying the cruise. Without a shirt on because I'll finally be happy with my stomach. I attached some photos. Thank you for the answers !

Going on vacation

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. After 4 months post op you can be exposed in the sun or even spend time in the pool or at the beach, If you really are going to take care of your self to help with the healing process is ok to go, but if you think that is going to be hard to follow your PS instructions I recommend to wait after your vacations to this procedure done.

Good luck :)

Cruise 4 weeks post tummy tuck without muscle repair - long enough to recover? (Photo)

Tummy tuck surgery rehabilitation or recovery is all about the muscle repair and any associated liposuction.

If the muscles are not going to be touched and there is little in the way of liposuction then go ahead and take a relaxing cruise - it will do you no end of good!

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Cruise after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  4 weeks after your tummy tuck without muscle work should give you plenty of time to recover and enjoy your cruise.  I recommend my patients take 2 weeks off of work following a tummy tuck.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Recovery For Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question and photo!  I typically tell my patients to take 2 weeks off of work.  You should be fine to go on your cruise just refrain from strenuous activity.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from tummy tuck

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

As a thin male without repair of your rectus muscles, four weeks should be plenty of time following a tummy tuck to take a cruise and enjoy yourself. Of course, this is according to your having no complications.  I would certainly not exercise or swim, however. Thank you for your question and photographs, and I hope you have a great cruise.

4 weeks enough time for recovery from a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss!  Assuming that you do not have any wound healing issues after your tummy tuck you should be fine to travel and enjoy your cruise.  Your incisions will still be healing, and likely a bit red, but assuming you protect them with a good scar cream and an SPF containing ointment, you should be fine.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing followings surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Probably just enough time . . .

Should not be an issue to travel, even if you have minor healing problems (usually show up in the midline, below the belly button, which could get in the way of swimming).  Some swelling and incisional redness - including at the belly button - would likely still be present, however, but the incisions should be reasonably strong.  Just don't be lugging large bags around . . . enjoy!

Safe travel after surgery

I would be a little more conservative with that. It's LIKELY you'd be able to travel that close to an abdominoplasty assuming no complications, but even a modest complication could derail your vacation. IF you're trip was the most important priority for you, I'd reschedule either the cruise or the surgery

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon