6 weeks after Tummy, what is causing my upper abdominal muscles to protrude? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. I have noticed recently (in the past 2 weeks) that my upper abdominal muscles protrude more than the bottom part of my abdomen. Could this be from swelling or could it be a problem with my muscles?

Tummy tuck and upper abdomen

An exam would be helpful and a review of your preop photos would as well. Best to review with your surgeon, but remember, you are likely stills swollen.

Upper Abdomen Protruding 6 Weeks After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for posting your post operative Tummy Tuck photograph with your question. After reviewing theĀ side view of your abdomen, it appears that you have someĀ upper abdominal fullness. This may be due to post operative swelling, subcutaneous fat, abdominal muscle laxity or intra-abdominal fat below the rectus abdominal muscles. An examination and discussion with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be very helpful in determining the cause. Swelling will resolve over the next 3-6 months. If excess subcutaneous fat remains, it can be liposuctioned. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (6 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD