What Light Workout Can I Do After Tummy Tuck Post One Week and How Many Calories Can I Eat? (photo)

I clean but I am on my knees half way through vacuuming because of back pain. It is hard to tell when I am full. I eat the calories I am use to. I am allowed 2200 calories a day on my fitness pal. I usually workout after 1200 calories. I am so tempted to walk on the treadmill tomorrow. I am afraid of gaining weight. I don't want to ruin my investment. What exercises can I do and are the calories (2200) I am taking in to much? I am 5"11 was 163lbs before tummy tuck now my scale says I am 169lbs.

Working out after Tummy-tuck

Don't get on the scale!  Patients ALWAYS weigh more after surgery because there is water retention and swelling.  The only thing I would do right now is light walking - you don't want to ruin your results by doing too much before you are healed or start something inside bleeding and have to go back to the OR to stop it.  The MOST important thing to do right now is eat a diet high in protein.  Protein provides the building blocks to healing.  I tell my patients to eat 100 grams of protein a day for 2 weeks before surgery and a month afterwards.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Working out after Tummy-tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rest after surgery is important for a full recovery

You mentioned being concerned that too many calories right now can affect your investment in the surgery.  On the contrary, it is important to ensure that you have good nutrition while your body is in a "healing" state.  Doing too much in terms of exercise and working is a far greater risk for messing up the results at this point.  Walking, staying lightly active, and eating plenty of protein and staying hydrated will keep you on the road to recovery.  It is important in the early stages not to push yourself too far, and listen to your body when it tells you it's time to slow down.

Exercise after tummy tuck

Every surgeon has different post-op protocols they recommend for their patients.  If you were my patient, I would tell you it's too soon to begin cleaning houses.  Too much bending and twisting can lead to a collection of watery fluid under the skin called a seroma.  Or, you could potentially bleed under the skin and get a collection of blood (hematoma).  Sometimes, hematomas need to be drained surgically. 

Total calories are not nearly as important as the type of calories (i.e. carbos, protein, fat) you're eating.  To heal wounds, you need plenty of protein and good quality fats and less carbos.  Ask your doctor for details.

Exercise after tummy tuck

The right workout right after tummy tuck

Unfortunately, one-week after tummy tuck is too soon to consider any kind of exercise program beyond walking, rest, and a balanced and sensible nutritional intake.  Exercise too soon risks problems such as seroma or other healing issues so stay calm, recover, and then take on a carefully laid out plan of graduated exercise.