Lower Facelift a good idea? (Photo)

Hello... I am 41 years old,and in the last year I have noticed that I am starting to age. I had an upper blepharoplasty 3 months ago which went well,but now that eyes are good...my lower face startet sagging... its not fair!!! is a lower facelift a good choice for me? 1 doctor said its too soon just do fillers, second doctor said no filler, lower facelift. What is best for my skinny face and minimal jowling?

Big question: #fillers versus lower #facelift at age 41

Thank you for your question and pictures.

I use extensively both fillers and surgery in my practice.  In your situation, if you are looking for a strong correction, only the lower facelift procedure with a second layer SMAS tightening would provide you with the expected result.  To this, your plastic surgeon could add some fat grafting.  Finding an experienced plastic surgeon would also give you small, well-hidden and barely visible scars.

But if you are not ready for the surgery and would be happy with a 50% improvement, fillers might be the route to take for the time being.  And since the fillers will go away in 9-18 months, it gives you time to consider a surgical procedure.  You have nothing to loose by trying the fillers first besides the cost and the non-permanent nature of them, as long as your plastic surgeon discusses the limitations and your expectations.

Best regards.

Early and proper correction of jowls is best.

When you receive different answers to this simple question, it usually reflects more on the expertise of the doctor.
Experienced plastic surgeon know that correction of jawline laxity is one of the most successful areas of rejuvenation surgery, second only to upper lid correction.
The reality, as you would know, is that the lower face did not age just after your upper lids were corrected (which incidentaly) looks lovely and natural. Aging is a slow and steady process, but once we notice an area is aging, it becomes the unwanted focus of our attention and seems to become worse. That is why a minimal correction is not inherently satisfying.
A proper lower facelift at this relatively early stage of aging would take up over 90% of the laxity. With good surgery, it would be undetectable that you had undergone facial surgery.
What is most important is that when the internal ligaments are retightened the result is lasting as the rate of future aging is slowed.
This is the only logical choice and the only room for delaying and using fillers is if the timing is not right for you.

Bryan Mendelson, FRACS, FACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift Can Lift Early Jowls and Neck

From your photos, you seem to be a good candidate for a lower facelift. In my center, I use this procedure to tighten loose neck skin, remove jowls and angulate the neckline. You can stay awake for the procedure. By two weeks, most patients can resume their normal activities. I hope this helps.

Local Anaesthetic Lower Facelift

I have pioneered my Concept™ facelift which is suitable for men and women who wish to reduce sagging in the lower face (jowls) and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance. The procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period.  This innovative procedure combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days.

What are the benefits of the local anaesthetic Concept™ Facelift?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results
All The Best 

About Facelift Surgery

A #facelift is a surgical procedure designed to remove the major folds and wrinkles that form on our faces with age. Gravity, sun damage, smoking, living in a dry climate, and a variety of factors contribute to the aging process of our faces. Facelift techniques vary from patient to patient to give each person a procedure tailored to produce the best possible surgical result. A facelift will smooth out major folds and #wrinkles, #tighten the tissues beneath your skin, remove #sagging and excess skin. A facelift can also reduce excess skin around the #neck and #jawline.
There is not just one facelift procedure, but a whole range of #facelift procedures. These different techniques have been developed over the years, involving different incisions and lifting the skin to varying degrees. A facelift may also involve the tightening of certain muscles and tissues, or liposuction of areas such as the jowls or chin.

It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removes every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. Fine lines and #wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, which we also offer at our office.
Incisions vary depending upon whether the patient is male or female, the hairstyles, hairline, age, previous surgery, and other factors. Generally, the #incision starts in the temple, in front or within the hairline. It continues in front of the ear, sometimes partially hidden within the ear. It then goes under the earlobe, behind the ear fold, and ends within the hairline or at the hairline behind the ear. The newer, shorter scar #techniques, which do not include scars in or by the hairline, can be used for most patients. Frequently another small and hidden incision is made under the chin in a natural skin fold. This allows fat removal and tightening of the platysma muscle in the neck if required.

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Is Lower Facelift a Good Idea?

This is a question many women ask me in their 40's.  There is no question that a surgical solution is the best, longest lasting, and most comprehensive way to address the cheeks, jawline, and neck.  The decision to proceed or wait really depend on how much these changes bother you.  For some women, it is completely reasonable to pursue a facelift and others aren't psychologically ready to make this step.  Fillers and minimally invasive treatments are of some benefit but the results are more limited and much less durable than surgery.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

The best procedure to correct jowling and neck issues at your stage would be a mini lift.  I agree that fillers would not be helpful for these issues. 

Lower Facelift

You look great!  I would not recommend a lower facelift for you without an exam.  Contact a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for an in person exam.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lowerface Lift

You look amazing!  I would definitely not recommend a lower facelift at this time.  If you are unhappy with any jowling I would steer you towards injectable fillers instead.  Best of luck!

Surgical and non-surgical options

Let me just say that your eyes look great – congratulations!
I hear this quite a bit from women your age – they want to correct something, but society, and sometimes surgeons, tell them it’s too early for surgery. The proper choice of a surgical correction, when indicated, can actually delay the need for a larger procedure, and provide you with the youthful look you desire and deserve. It is important to discuss your concerns and goals with a facial plastic surgeon who offers a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, so that an approach to achieve your goals can be designed in an unbiased way.
As a facial plastic surgeon who has dedicated my entire career to facial rejuvenation, I find that fillers in the cheeks as a way to correct the signs of aging can be very effective, especially when combined with an energy based device like thermi RF or ulthera. This will allow for a non-surgical lifting, volumizing, and tightening of the face.
In addition,I would suggest that you consider and thoroughly research a lower face lift. This appears to be a great option for you. You should give special consideration to finding a surgeon who has experience working with women in their 40s. There is a different skill set needed to provide natural results for younger patients, so be sure to look for a physician with this experience.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon