Is it possible to fix asymmetry without getting fuller lips? (Photo)

I had juvederm a few months ago and It's either uneven or it is wearing off at an uneven rate... not sure.

Uneven lips

I would recommend a small amount of filler to help even out the small asymmetry in your lips. You could do this without having to plump the lips. Good luck.

Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Uneven?

Thanks for this great question. I do see the differences and I would suggest a small amount of filler material only as a "touch up" with your original injector. You should always follow up with your injector so they can see the results of their work and make sure you're totally happy as well. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Fillers Can Fix Lip Asymmetries

The short answer to your question is "yes, they can can."  From the photo it appears that your lower lip is narrower on your left side as compared to the right. If this region was uneven from the start, then it is likely poor injection technique. If, however, it was at first even and then progressed to this condition with time, it is more likely related to particular aspects of movement and expression on that side as opposed to the other. . Regardless,a small amount of filler inserted in that region should quite easily achieve or restore the symmetry you are looking for without giving you the much unwanted "duck lips" (aka "trout pout") appearance. Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Filler

If you feel your lips are more asymmetric then you need to be seen in person and likely filler can help.

Is it possible to fix asymmetry without getting fuller lips?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is almost the same size as your lower and the lower lip is a bit thinner on one side. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be shaped and augmented using a dermal filler for spot changes as well as overall augmentation (Permalip can be used for overall augmentation with permanent results).

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Juvederm in lips

Hi Newrn76,

Thank you for this question. Lip augmentation is particularly challenging and it is important to make sure you are injected by a board certified, experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Based on your picture, I would recommend you see your injector for a touch-up of Juvederm, or have them assess the need for hyaluronidase to break down existing filler in order to correct the asymmetry. I would also speak with them about the options of different fillers for the lips. Each of these options can be tailored to your desired results. It would also be worth discussing /mentioning with them the ideal lip ratio of 1/3 top lip :2/3 bottom lip based on the concept of phi.   

Kevin Cavanaugh, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Addition of filler material will lead to some increase in your overall lip size but appropriate placement into your left lower lip should help narrow the asymmetry without leaving you with particularly large lips.  Hope this helps.

Correcting uneven lips will still make the lip somewhat bigger

There is no way to add filler to the lips without it somehow making the lips bigger. The doctor can try not to add to much to the body of the lip but it will have to be bigger. I like to use Restylane Silk because it allows for very precise corrections.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Asymmetrical Lip Solution with fillers (restylane, juvederm) and Botox

Fillers in combination with botox can be used to improve this asymmetry, or it can be reversed with hyaluronidase and a different technique can be used next time. I recommend injections with cannulas for better results. I suggest seeing a facial sculpting expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Uneven lips after Juvederm

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm.

• It does look a little asymmetric -
  • Are you sure this is from Juvederm (we aren't symmetric but at times don't notice our own asymmetry until we have the area treated.)
  • To fix the asymmetry - if it is Juvederm - a little enzyme called Vitrase can be injected. You will probably be charged AND it may not dissolve it precisely to match the other sie.
  • If it doesn't bother you, or you can wait - I'd give it a bit more time to see if you can live with it. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS