I want to get rid of my double chin. Should I do lipo and silhouette lift or just lipo will be enough? (Photo)

Lipo, silhouette lift or both? Please advise. I am 40 years old. Thanks .

Best Answer For a Double Chin

I have been doing treatments on patients like you for years with great results using just botox and smartlipo/lipocontouring alone.  many will say you need a neck lift but if you do not have true laxity and it is just fat deposits, properly performed liposuction can recontour your jaw and give your neck lift.  I suggest seeing a face and body contouring specialist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatment for double chin fatty deposits in the neck

The photograph demonstrates fatty deposits in the neck, and most likely these deposits are located above and below the platysma muscle in the neck. Simple liposuction will only remove the submental fatty deposits. A neck lift with fat removal underneath the platysma muscle  will need to be performed in addition to a platysma plasty to remove the sub--platysmal fatty deposits. In patients over 50 years of age to have excess skin  laxity, a face and neck lift is required. Patients less than 50 years of age who have good skin tone can perform a neck lift only without any skin removal. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

You do have an area in your neck where you have excess fat that we can treat

Thanks for the question and thanks for the photo as well. You do have an area in your neck where you have excess fat. You should make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon – then you can learn the best treatment options for you. This will include liposuction or laser-assisted liposuction; it may include Ultherapy; or it may include one of the more sophisticated RF skin tightening devices, such as the Venus Legacy, the EndyMed 3Deep, or the BTL Exilis.The RF will require several treatment sessions but nice results can be obtained.A new drug, called ATX-101 is now pending final approval at the FDA and will be used in this area once approved. Again, a series of injections are needed for it to be successful, but clinical trials show that fat can be destroyed and some tightening achieved in some that were treated.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction may or may not be beneficial in a 40-year-old patient.

The photograph doesn't provide a lot of information but my guess is that liposuction will probably benefit the situation.  laser assisted liposuction I've not found to be beneficial and can even create unnecessary thermal damage.

Start with liposuction

Liposuction should help quite a bit. Considering how easy and safe the procedure is, I would definitely start there.

Have you read the reviews on the Silhouette Lift? I just checked the RealSelf review of the procedure. The first four were of horror stories.  

I noticed you are just outside of Houston.

Go see one of the experts at Elite Body Sculpture in Houston. See the link below. They do some of the best work I have seen. They are patented and have superior equipment and expertise.  

Ideally, get a couple of consults. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

I want to get rid of my double chin. Should I do lipo and silhouette lift or just lipo will be enough?

Try 20 pound weight loss first than either surgical neck lift or lipo. But the action posted photo is of little help.. Best to only use in person opinions... 

Neck liposuction

Seems to be the right option for you, howeve keep in mind that you also have the earliest signs of neck aging and sagginess, in the future you'll be candidate of deep muscular platisma lift.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon