Restylane Left Huge Lump Under Eye

I will try to make it as brief as possible. I got restylane under my eye 4 years ago. 1st time was great. 4th time he injected way too much. Thats now 2 ½ years ago. I still got a huge lump under my skin under right eye. If i try to massage it, it is a very hard lump and about 1-2 cm long beneath the skin. I'm so so tired of this saggy look. I'm only 28 years old. I don't want to see that doctor again. What should i do? Could this be scar tissue? Or what do you think?

Doctor Answers 6

Restylane under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane does not usually last more than 6 months. That being said, it may have held on a bit longer. If is a hard lump and consistent with filler, then hyaluronidase would still be able to dissolve it.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Restylane can last for several years under the eye - but there is hope

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry  to hear of your situatation.  I have been doing filler under the eye for about 5 years and I have seen it easily last for 3 years or more.Restylane can often be massaged  to improve its appearance. I have not ever tried that on Restylane that was placed 4 years ago, though.  If it is indeed the filler then a simple treatment of hyaluronidase should help dissolve it.  If the bump does not go away after that then it is very possible that it is not Restylane and may be part of the natural aging process.  If that is the case, then surgery or perhaps laser can be helpful to improve your appearance.  Good Luck.

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Bump Under Eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your situation.  As the other practitioners have mentioned, it is somewhat unlikely that if the product injected was Restylane that it would last several years.  

With that said, if it is Restylane, then Hyaluronidase, the enzyme that dissolves Restylane should be tried first treatment.  If this does not work, then it's possible that the product that was injected was not actually Restylane.  If this is the case, it's possible that a surgical revision of the area may be required to remove the product.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Correction of Restylane Lump Under the Eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane can persist for quite a while even years under the eyelids presumably because of lack of significant movement of this area. Good technique is  critical to achieving good results in the eyelid region and should only be done by physicians with advanced training and years of experience in injectable fillers like Restylane.  The good news is that the Restylane can be easily dissolved with an enzyme called hyaluronidase (generic) Vitrase (brand name).  Find a doctor who performs this procedure and the lump will be gone.   Good luck!

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Lump several years after Restylane under the eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very unusual to have Restylane last this long. Possibly it was not the Restylane we're accustomed to using in the U.S., possibly there was another product used, possibly it was the same Restylane and you developed a rare granuloma from it, possibly your Restylane just didn't dissolve as it normally does. If you're examined by a new doctor who thinks it is not scar tissue, then it would be worth a try at dissolving the Restylane, should it be there, with hyaluronidase. It may need a few treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Restylene lump under eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, rare side effects of hyaluronic acid injections (such as Restylene or Juvederm) can include lump or bump formations, especially if the product is injected in large quantities or superficially. Topical creams, massages, and tincture of time will not always resolve the lump. If you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon they would be able to assist you in treating this problem. The best is to see the original doctor, so the provider can learn from this event and hopefully give you a break with the treatment.

However, you can switch to another provider which is experienced with the fillers. The treatment that the specialist can implement in the office includes nicking the area with a scalpel or needle and gently expressing the extra material. Also, the provider may inject hyaluronidase, an enzyme that degrades access hyaluronic acid that is causing the lump. Good luck,

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Davie Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.