I'm scheduled for a lift and tummy tuck in a month. Lift without implants? (photos)

I'm having a mommy makeover and after everything I read it seemed that I would need implants along with my lift to get the fullness on top instead of the bottom. My surgeon said he will use the current tissue but I am worried that it's not going to have the fullness on top that I desire. Do you think it's possible to get that with current tissue and a lift? I'm a DD now.

Mommy Makeover With Breast Lift

Hello and thank-you for your question and photos.Congratulations on your decision to schedule your Mommy Makeover. I agree with your surgeon that you have enough breast tissue with a breast lift. If you decide after you MMO that you want to enlarge your breasts and add upper pole fullness, you can have a breast augmentation as a second stage as an out-patient procedure.Best wishes, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

You have adequate tissue to reshape and lift the breasts.  After surgery you will have fuller, naturally shaped breasts.  I understand it's the not the top choice, but if you find in the future that you desire more fullness you can put in an implant at a later date.

Camille Cash, MD

I'm scheduled for a lift and tummy tuck in a month. Lift without implants?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, I would agree with your surgeon about proceeding with a breast lift without implants and a tummy tuck.  You have enough natural tissue to provide that upper pole fulness.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Lift Without Implants

Thank you for your question, and for providing the pictures.
Yes, that is possible.  When performing a breast lift, it is possible to use your own breast tissue to create fullness at the top.  The benefit of this is that you don't need a foreign body (an implant).  If for some reason you desire even more fullness on top after you have healed from your surgery, it is possible to put a small implant there at a later time.  I would talk this over with your surgeon again so you are all on the same page.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Mommy Makeover with or without a Breast Lift

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. There are a variety of techniques for a #BreastLift. I prefer to use the short scar technique, “#lollipop scar” or “#donut lift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive #scarring and a less optimal result in many cases.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy make-over - should I have implants with my breast lift?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implants.
  • I think it will be difficult to get upper fullness with a DD breast.
  • You have very nicely shaped, full breasts.
  • The lower fullness is the normal breast shape and in the photos, your breasts do not look droopy.
  • If you have a lift, the weight of the breasts is likely to pull them down to their current position.
  • If you have an implant for upper fullness, it will make the breasts even heavier and it will also pull them down.
  • Assuming you like your breast size, my feeling would be to have the tummy tuck and postpone breast surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for posting your question and photographs.  I too am wondering why you are considering an uplift with or without implants?  Your size is adequate, you have nice shape and contour and I think avoidance of scars and incision lines on your breasts would be advisable.  Perhaps seeking a second opinion or reviewing your surgical plan with your doctor is something to consider.  Good luck and best wishes. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Lift

Based on the pictures posted, you do not need a breast lift or breast implants. May be in few years you will

Will I have enough upper breast fullness with a breast lift only?

Your concern regarding the amount of upper breast fullness you will have after breast lift only is one that many women have when they are making the decision between breast lift only and breast lift with augmentation. A breast implant will definitely add a significant amount of upper breast fullness that may not be achievable to the same degree with a breast lift only. One thing to consider however, is the added amount of projection an implant will also give you. If you say you are in a DD cup bra now the 1 inch or more of added projection that the average implant will give you may put you into an even larger cup size post-operatively, with the long-term risks related to the added weight of the implant on the internal ligament support of the breast. This added stress on your internal support may cause stretch changes to the ligaments and require future revision surgeries. Please discuss again your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon before your surgery. I am sure that you both will be more comfortable with further discussion about this issue!

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon