What's the best way to avoid nausea after mommy makeover?

I have a fear of getting sick, so much that I have xanex for those fearful times. I'm so worried about the nausea after my mommy makeover it's keeping me up at night. I know there is the patch before surgery and there is a cocktail during to help with right after. How many actually get sick?? What exactly should I be eating days before surgery and after to avoid the nausea? I can handle pain but the nausea scares me into panic!!

Nausea After Mommy Makeover

Pain medication may cause nausea and should be taken with food at each dose.  If you have persistent nausea, stick to a bland diet until it subsides.  Discuss your fear of getting sick with your board certified plastic surgeon and his anesthesiologist pre and post op so that they can tailor the medication to lower your fear.Kenneth B. Hughes, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Los Angeles, CA 90066

Thank you for your question.  There are multiple techniques to reduce the risk for post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV) including limiting the use of narcotics, certain anesthesia and preop/postop meds.  Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

The best way to avoid nausea after in mommy makeover is avoid narcotics.

Your surgeon and anesthesiologist will work with you to control postop nausea. Use of long acting local anesthetics in the abdominal wall can reduce or even eliminate the need for narcotics which are the most common cause of postoperative nausea.

Avoiding PONV

First is a single pill used for postoperative nausea and vomiting called Emend, which last for 72 hours.  Second talk to the anesthesiologist.  The technique they use will determine whether you get sick.

Post Operative Nause & Vomiting (PONV) can be reduced with a combination of techniques used by the surgeon (use of local anesthetics) and anesthesiologist (limiting narcotics, using more intravenous anesthesia, combinations of medications). Discuss this with your surgery team. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Post op nausea

Help is available for nausea.  You are correct in your statement that you can have a scopolamine patch placed prior to surgery and your anesthesiologist can give you various medications through your IV during surgery to minimize nausea and vomiting.  In addition there are medications available by prescription to take to assist with this.  For foods, keep your initial meals light and easy to digest.  Avoid spicy or fatty foods.  Nausea if it occurs at all, is usually gone after a couple of days.  Share your concerns with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so they can help.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy make-over - avoiding the nausea

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over and nausea.
  • No need to panic - 
  • Here's the issue, surgery and narcotic pain medicine can cause severe nausea.
  • I rarely seen nausea today because of the following:
  • Scopalamine patch, put on before surgery.
  • A Board Certified Anesthesiologist directing the anesthesia
  • Usually, a dose of steroids intravenously before surgery
  • Injection of Exparel into the muscle before the end of surgery, to reduce pain (and need for narcotics)
  • Zofran pills to take with each dose of narcotic.
  • Use of Tylenol and Advil from the start, to reduce the need for narcotics.
  • Go over this list with your surgeon to figure out if this is her/his plan and if s/he has any additional ideas for you.
  • Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables before surgery - and no smoking - is the best way to prepare.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Nausea After Mommy Makeover

It is not uncommon for patients to have some nausea after surgery, particularly when breast surgery is involved and patients are taking narcotic pain medication.  Your doctor may recommend a scopolamine patch.  The anesthesiologist may use a total intravenous anesthetic technique, and may give additional medications to help with postoperative nausea.  Afterwards, you may request an anti-nausea pill (I think Zofran/ondansetron works very well for my patients).  In general, the nausea usually lasts about 24 hours after the procedure, but that brief stint is well worth the lifetime result of the mommy makeover.  Best of luck!

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Preventing postoperative nausea with mommy makeover

For my mommy makeover patients who are concerned about nausea after surgery - or who have had unpleasant experiences after having general anesthesia in the past - we try to tackle the issue on several fronts.  I do prescribe the Scopolamine patch (often used for motion sickness), which is applied the night before surgery.  I also prescribe an anti-nausea drug like Phenergan, just in case there is any nausea after surgery; some patients who have had bad nausea experiences in the past request Zofran as a "rescue" medication instead.  Most importantly, I let our anesthesiologist know about any nausea concerns my mommy makeover patient may have.  Our anesthesiologists are very experienced and over the years have refined their "anti-nausea cocktail" of IV premedication to make the recovery from anesthesia much smoother.  So be sure to talk with your anesthesia provider beforehand and make sure he/she knows about your nausea concerns.In terms of what you can do before surgery to help prevent nausea, I always recommend to my own patients that they try to stick with their normal routine as much as possible - whatever helps keep them happy and balanced - so a variety of healthy, nutritious foods, a regular workout, meditation, Netflix and chill, etc...  Afterwards, start with small quantities and light/bland things (smoothies, soups, crackers), so that you don't upset your stomach.
With this multi-pronged approach to preventing postoperative nausea, very few of my mommy makeover patients have had issues with nausea or vomiting after surgery.  Every surgeon, however, has a different approach to making sure their patients are as comfortable as possible - so ask your own surgeon about what he/she feels is the best way to help you avoid nausea after your mommy makeover.
Hope this helps, and best of luck - Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Helping Avoid Nausea after Mommy Makeover

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after, to help stabilize healthy feeling. We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins. The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. 

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder for the tummy tuck, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. There is also treatment of all incisions provided to help make sure that they remain comfortable in healing.