One breast still swollen and somewhat painful 10 days post op. Any suggestions? (photos)

One of my breast is still swallen and somewhat painful 10 days post op. It's also bigger. When will swelling disappear? Is it possible it swelled more because I got more active? When do most people return to normal life when breasts are not sore and feel ok?

Swelling and pain

Hello and thank you for your question. 
I am sorry to hear that you are enduring pain and swelling. 
Understand that ten days post operation is not a very long time - and with a certain amount of activity in the first week after surgery - your breast are very well going to swell up and become sore. The muscles in your chest are already being stretched out beyond anything they're used to. When adding moderate activity into the equation, the muscles will stretch even further and swell up in an attempt to 'heal' themselves. 
You mention it being somewhat painful, but no other symptoms. Examine yourself, do you feel any hard spots? Spots that used to be somewhat squishy and are now not. Can you feel any areas where fluids may be forming? If so, absolutely return to your plastic surgeon asap for a smooth recovery.
If your symptoms only include swelling and pain, you may want to see your plastic surgeon still, but it is only necessary if these symptoms do not start to go away over the next few days. Better safe than sorry - the fewer complications now, the fewer down the road as well. 

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Asymmetric Swelling

Thank you for your question and photos. Asymmetric swelling is common. At 10 days post op it is too soon to see results. I recommend that you follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions regarding activity restrictions and try to be patient. If you note increasing swelling or hardness in the breast, let your Plastic Surgeon know.
All the best

Recovery after breast augmentation

Congratulations on  your recent surgery and a beautiful early result. Asymmetrical swelling is quite common after breast augmentation. Most often the dominant side is more swollen (though not always) due to more activity. 
Everyone recovers at her own pace, but you should notice a marked improvement any day now. It will take several months before your body and brain completely adjust to having implants, but the vast majority of people are doing most activities without difficulty at two to three weeks.
Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

One breast still swollen and somewhat painful 10 days post op.

Thank you for your question and photos!  It is still very early and normal to have swelling at 10 days post op.  Each side does not always improve and heal at the same pace.  Your swelling will improve over the next several weeks.  I usually tell my patients to limit activity until 4-6 weeks.   I would continue to limit activity and discuss this with your plastic surgeon  and follow their post operative regimen.  Good Luck!Dr. Tag

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

Dear aneri007, 
Asymmetrical swelling can be normal after surgery, any time 2 of something is operated on one side will always be a little ahead or behind the other at the beginning. A 10 days post op it is not surprising that you are still swollen, and if you increased your activity then that is to be expected. Patients usually feel better as they get closer to 3 weeks post op.  You should not judge your final result for 6 months to a year after surgery. Hope this helps!

Breast augmentation

Swelling is maximal during the first few months after surgery.  I allow most of my patients to go back to light duty( desk work) a few days after surgery. They can usually start aerobics within 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting after about 6-8 weeks.

See Your Surgeon

You mentioned pain and swelling.  You should contact your surgeon for an exam to rule out complications.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

There is more swelling than usual

but doesn't appear that there is a major issue like a hematoma. Best to send pics to your doctor. Swelling resolves by about 1-3 months and return to normal depends on your doctors technique.