1 month po and still look 'fake.' Will they drop into a natural look and will the rippling I see improve as they settle? (photo)

I wanted natural look with sloped upper pole. Full B small C. I also have some rippling on the outer side of one breast. I am 5'5" tall and 99 lbs and previously an A cup. I am fit, thin and have never had children. Meaurnents: 27" rib cage, BWD Left: 12.0 and Right: 11.5. I also wanted some side boob. I got Sientra 305cc 4.0 proj and 11.7 D in both. Help? They look so fake right now. :(

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Will they drop into a natural look and will the rippling I see improve as they settle?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

1 month po and still look 'fake.' Will they drop into a natural look and will the rippling I see improve as they settle

If they are smooth implants, it can still drop and look more natural and sloped. We usually recommend  manual pressure on the upper part of the breast held for 10 seconds, done ten times in one setting and repeated twice daily. It is not pushing the implant down as much as it is pushing the pectoralis muscle flat against the ribs. If they are textured, it is less likely to drop but they can still drop some. The ripples on the side are due to your very low body fat and I would guess they used smooth implants rather than textured ones because of that. The cohesive nature of the smooth is not as strongly cohesive as the textured implant and you can feel ripples more in the smooth versus the textured.

Julio Garcia, MD

Aesthetic Changes In The Appearance Of The Breasts As The Implants "Settle"

Unfortunately, the picture you provide does not reveal very much about the appearance of your breasts, particularly in the area where you claim to see rippling. While you do provide information regarding your height, weight, and breast width, as well as the dimensions of the breast implants, which appear to be appropriate, you do not say whether they are smooth or textured, what access approach was used, or whether they were placed above or below the pectorals muscle.  

However, just from your description of yourself as being fit, thin, nulliparous, and having an A cup prior to surgery, it is not surprising that you may have some degree of rippling, given the size of the implants placed, and a presumed paucity of breast tissue preoperatively.  The good news is that one month is still relatively early after your surgery, and you can expect some further stretching of the skin and soft tissues over time that may allow your implants to drop a bit. 

This may allow the contour of the upper pole of your breasts to become more sloped over time.  The issue of the rippling may improve as the implants gradually shift in position, or it may become more noticeable as the swelling of the breasts continues to diminish.  Be patient, and follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Appearance after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and provided photograph. The appearance of your breast following surgery are dependent upon a number of different issues. The implant size is certainly important but the amount of soft tissue coverage also makes a big difference. You are thin with a small amount of breast tissue to cover the implant. This will unfortunately allow for visibility of the edges and rippling within the implant. As your swelling resolves, these may improve or become more pronounced. It usually takes approximate three months before the implants have settled into their final position and all traces of swelling have dissipated. Please be patient but talk with your plastic surgeon about possible options if this does not improve. Good luck.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon