How Should Red Crusty/Flaky Patch after TT be Treated? No drainage, no fever, no pain. (Photos)

I had a full TT & hysterectomy. 8 wks postop. A suture spit out & the red patch appeared. It has been growing. Very thick crusty skin forms, falls off & the process restarts. My GYN Dr. said apply Lotrimin Ultra. She said it was not an infection. I'm in no pain, no fever, no drainage. My plastic surgeon said to stop using the Lotrimin & apply heat. 2nd day of using heat no results yet. Patch is 2.5 in. long. Should I be concerned? What is this patch? Please help? Will it go away on it's own?

Red patch

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  It is hard to advise without an exam.  I know it can be frustrating when you hear two different things from your doctors.  I suggest you ask them to communicate and come up with a treatment plan together, good luck.  

How Should Red Crusty/Flaky Patch after TT be Treated? No drainage, no fever, no pain.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues. Though nothing replaces an in-person examination I would recommend first stopping all products and clean the area with a gentle soap, being sure not to scrub.  Then apply a thick emollient, such as Aquaphor, over the incision to maintain the area moisturized and keep the area covered with a non-adherent dressing.  This patch could be the result of a contact dermatitis, allergic reaction to adhesives or bandages, friction to a compression garment, spitting suture, infection, or early eczema.  See your surgeon for a diagnosis and then treatment plan. 

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question and your photos.

i highly recommend you to visit your surgeon and talk this over with him personally.

best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz