Liposuction Downtime - when is Recovery is Over?

I've had my abdomen, hips, and flanks liposuctioned close to 4 months ago. My abdomen has bulging lumps (mainly below belly button) and hardness. How long will it take for my body to return to normal and the lumps and hardness to diminish? Basically when is my liposuction recovery officially over?

Recovery after liposuction.

Recovery after liposuction can very from patient to patient, but as a general rule most of the swelling is gone after 3-4 months.  In lower extremities, especially below the knees, it can take even longer.  Proper technique during surgery and proper post-operative care can reduce the healing time somewhat.  Most of our patients can wear a bathing suit after about a month, although the final result might not be apparent for 3-4 months.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

The normal final result is expected about 4-5 months after surgery

It normally takes 4-6 months for the final results of surgery, especially liposuction, to be seen. Lumpiness or bumps are not unusual within the first 2-3 months. When you break up the fat with liposuction, not all of it is removed with the canula. A significant amount of fat has to be absorbed and destroyed by the body. This creates inflammation and firmness. That is what causes the lumps. By 4 months the lumps should be resolving. If the lumps are soft, you may need some touch up surgery to smooth the areas. No decision to touch up should be made before 6 months. Often doctors will use post op massage or endodermologie to assist with the smoothing. But in reality, time is the best cure for an area that isn't smooth. If the lumps do not resolve, discuss this with your physician to help you understand your options.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD
Orland Park Plastic Surgeon

It usually take a full year for the body to remodel any surgical scar but the initial down time is only one week.

It is not uncommon to feel some underlying areas of hardness once the initial swelling is resolved.  The most important treatment for this is massage.  Usually these areas are slightly tender but this is sign that the body still has heal.  There is also some numbness of the skin following liposuction which will eventually resolve by one year.

Recovery from liposuction takes months

Recovery from any surgery is different from patient to patient, there are many factors that go into play technique, number of treated areas, your health, your age etc… however for the most part an average patient with average areas treated can expect to feel well enough to return to guarded work activities five to seven days after surgery. At four to six week you should be able to return to all activities with no restrictions. Full recovery can take up to a year where you will not feel that occasional pinching, itching, or stretching sensation.

At 4 months things should be pretty settled after liposuction

At 4 months out, most liposuction patients have had their swelling subside. Areas of hardness can take longer to soften, but only rarely do we see these with lipo alone.

I would return to your surgeon and maybe look into doing something else to change things. Did you discuss other procedures as alternatives when you saw him or her before your surgery?

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Massage during liposuction recovery

There are a variety of explanations for what you are observing and I will discuss some of these options.

I have seen patients who were better candidates for tummy tucks but underwent liposuction instead leaving them with loose skin that appears to be lumpy. If this is the case you may be better treated with a tummy tuck.

Alternatively, any injury can result in healing which produces scar tissue for 6 weeks (proliferative phase) followed by resolution of the scar tissue (maturation phase) which can take anywhere from an additional 6 weeks (total of 12 weeks after surgery) up to 2 years! 

Sometimes this is aggravated by localized swelling which prolongs the firmness. Techniques such as manual lymphatic drainage (also known as the Vodder technique) have been excellent in reducing nodularity. Other mechanical options, such as Endermologie are uselful. Another option is the use of technology that claims to reduce Cellulite: these include the Accent device, Velasmooth, or Thermage systems.

I have also found that areas of swelling can be aggravated by certain garments cause such as a tight waistband. Think of a tight sock that causes swelling above the level of the tight portion. In this event wearing a gentle compression garment such as a Spanx is useful for the healing period.

I strongly advise that you perform massage of the areas as much as possible during the healing period to promote softness of the firm areas.

Always stay in close contact with your physician. I am confident that they would want you to be satisfied with the outcome. It is possible that a touch up or further surgery is necessary but I would discuss this with your physician.

Probably by 6-8 months

It sort of depends on how much fat was removed since patients with a big tummy often have more fluid accumulation in the tissue and it takes longer for the lymphatic system to remove it. Also if you haven't been massaging the area, I would recommend more aggressive massaging or endermologie to help the areas shrink faster.

The excess skin from a large tummy takes 6-8 months to shrink. Skin is elastic and shrinks a fair amount after lipo. The younger you are or the less stretch marks you have , then the faster and more your skin will tighten. BE PATIENT . We often will injection diluted Kenalog into the lumps to cause shrinkage by atrophy of the fat or scar tissue. It softens them nicely. You may need a touch up liposuction if those lumps are remaining fat deposits. Your surgeon can tell you usually by the 4th month if you will need a touch up liposuction.

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Everyone recovers at different rates, and it is hard to give you an accurate time frame for yours. Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. It is often difficult to see significant changes in the body shape before this time. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. As you heal, the suctioned area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging those areas will hasten their softening. If you have any concerns, see your plastic surgeon. For most count on abouit 85% final result at 3 months and by  9-12 months your final result.

Liposuction recovery schedule

Recovery from liposuction takes time. Its easy to get discouraged but if you stay patient you should enjoy very nice results in time. i tell my patients that there is a three stage healing process.

The first stage takes 2-3 weeks. During the first 2-3 weeks the initial swelling is resolving and you can get a general sense for your new shape. The second stage takes 2-3 months and will show you the details of your new shape as the swelling subsides and your tissue softens. The final healing can take up to one year. It is not uncommon to have areas of numbness that take up to a year to resolve.

If you feel that there are "lumps and bumps"  you may want to visit your surgeon and let him/her know about that. Sometimes fluid can build up in an area and create a small pocket of fluid called a seroma. This can be treated by removing the excess fluid very easily. Treating a seroma early can avoid some irregular shaped results. If there is no seroma, most irregular bumps will smooth out to some degree. If not completely a small revision might be needed. I would not consider a revision for at least 6 months after the surgery.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Six months for liposuction recovery

We usually tell patients to wait at least six months to see their final results, although it might be longer in ceratin patients.  If the swelling still seems variable from day to day, you have likely not reached a stable endpoint.