Should I be worried? (photo)

I just had ear reduction surgery done 6 days ago. My concern is that one ear looks like the skin over laps at the stitches and the other dosent?? Also the other ear looks like it has a point, that it had the day the stitches went in and The doctor said it was fine.

Ear lobes surgery

Hi thank you for your question. It´s normal that the swelling causes a little disformation of the earlobe in the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. Please be patient and clean the wounds every day with soap and water and it should be getting better in a bit. I also would advise you to go to all the postoperative appointments with your surgeon, just to prevent any possible complications.
Best regards
Dr Marco Carmona MD

Should I be worried about my earlobe reduction?

Hello Muslimahyoung,

Your surgery is only 6 days out and your sutures are still in place.  At this point it is too early to be assessing your result.  Swelling tends to peak around day 3 and it isn't until day 5-6 that it begins to come off.  Even once your sutures come out you will still see some irregularities because of swelling.  By 2 weeks 80% of your swelling will be gone and by 2 months 90%.  I would not recommend you even consider any revisions until at least 6 months unless there is some significant abnormality your surgeon points out earlier.  At this point I would recommend you continue to follow up with your surgeon to assess wound healing.  As far as the point to the ear that may or may not improve.  It really depends on how the earlobe reduction surgery was performed.  If you aren't satisfied with your surgeon and the answers you get, consider consulting with a facial plastic surgeon.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Worried after ear reduction surgery

Hello.  It's normal to be concerned when you notice things don't look right, but you are still very early in the healing period.  The majority of these irregularities will soften and the wound will heal fine.  I encourage you to be patient, but it's very important you keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon and don't be afraid to point out problems at the visits.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon