When is it ok for me to start lifting/working out like normal? (Photo)

Hello wonderful docs of Realself. I had a TT done b/c I had a scar that a plastic surgeon left on me after a belly button revision 10 years ago here in the U.S. With that being said my stomach is really really tight b/c I really didn't have much stomach to pull. I want to start working out/lifting weights badly but I'm scared to do so. I'm all most 4 months post op & last month I picked up my 27 lb 2 y/o and I'm still in pain/very swollen. All feedback is greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

When is it ok for me to start lifting/working out like normal?

As a general rule, by 6 months you should be able to do anything that is comfortable. As the old joke goes," Doctor it hurts when I do that, If it hurts then don't do that". Let your body tell you how hard to push. By 6 weeks we have maximised our scar production, and by 6-12 months our scars are softening and relaxing nicely. Always check with your plastic surgeon before moving forward with any internet based suggestion, as we do not know you and have not examined or operated on you.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Address this question to your Plastic Surgeon.  Every patient heals different.  In general, you should be able to get back to hard core works outs between 4 to 6 months, many times sooner depending on the patient's healing. Congrats on your surgery.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Working out after tummy tuck

Patients after tummy tuck are advice to avoid heavy exercise until most of the healing process occurs. Most of the plastic surgeons recommend limited activities during the first 3 months after surgery. If patients are having discomfort and residual swelling in their abdomen when exercising after 3 months it is recommended that they consult with their primary surgeon about these physical findings.

John Mesa, MD

Exercise after tummy tuck

After a tummy tuck I ask the patients to refrain from all physical activity for 2 months.  After that they start cardio.  At 3 months they start more strenuous activity.  At 6 months, they can do core.  At all times, if they have swelling or pain, I tell them that it is too much for their bodies at that time.  

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Your plastic surgeon will always do your best resource but generally speaking, most patients are at your stage are able to gradually return to full activity. In other words, “listen to your body” and resume activities that you enjoy in a gradual fashion. As you are increasing your activity level, if your body says “ouch”, slow down…  Best wishes.

It is okay to start lifting/working out..

Hi, Mrs. GG.  It seems like you are healed well and that you have a good result from your TT.  At 4 months post-op, you should be able to go back to your normal routine.  Since you have not exercised for awhile, take your time - start slow and slowly build up to your routine. I am sure that you are still feeling the tightness which is expected.  You are most likely to feel the tightness for next several months.  

By your history I would not recommend anything until you saw or contacted your chosen surgeon. I have a feeling you had out of country surgery??? 

Exercising after a tummy tuck

Swelling typically takes a good 6 months to a year to resolve after a tummy tuck. Having said that, I typically allow my patients to get back to their normal exercise routine 6 weeks after surgery. Of course, every patient is different and if you are having more pain or swelling, then you should modify your regimen as necessary. Make sure to follow up with your operating surgeon if you continue to be in pain. Hope this helps and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Should be able to exercise

Thanks for your question. At 6 weeks I do not impose restrictions after abdominoplasty. Each patient is different and your surgeon should be able to address this. Although you may not disrupt things at 6 weeks your body will have to get used to things. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Best is to check with your surgeon. Surgeons vary in their aftercare protocols following tummy tuck surgery.
Generally speaking, from 3 months onwards, I allow my patients unrestricted activity and assume their normal life.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS