How long must you have off work for recovery for TT and BBL?

How long must you have off for recovery for tt and bbl

3 weeks

Every person is different in terms of how they recover from surgery given the patient's pain threshold and the type of surgery and the extent of surgery they are going through.  However, it is best to be over prepared then under prepared.  I recommend at least 3 to 4 weeks.

i suggest you to talk to your PS about your post-operation instructions,but i can recommend you to wait at least 2-4 weeks before returning to work. 

best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuc and BBL recovery

Thank you for your question. Healing after a tummy tuck and BBL is usually retty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery. It is after this time that patients can return to normal activities. The later phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

Time off work

Thank you for your question. I tell my patients that they should take at least 2 weeks off work. Some people may be able to go back sooner and some may need to take a little bit more time. I tell my patients that it is usually ok to go back to work as long as they are no longer needing pain medication during the day. However, while at work, there is to be no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 6 weeks after surgery. This is because of the muscle repair that is typically done with a TT. I recommend my patients stay off their buttocks as much as possible for at least the 1st 2 weeks. After 2 weeks they can start sitting on their buttocks more but I give them tips on how to sit while relieving pressure off their buttocks. I hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD 

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

When to Return to Work after Tummy Tuck

Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds should be avoided for six weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities within two weeks of surgery.

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You should be able to return to full activity without restriction after six weeks. If you find yourself concerned at all with the healing process after surgery remember that you are able to follow-up with your surgeon to make sure that everything is healing as it should. Good luck!

The recommendations of every PS is a little different. I do these procedures a lot. After a combined BBL and TT I as for no pressure to the buttocks for 10 days. It is best to take 10-14 days off of work. It depends on what you do. If you do manual labor then you will need longer off if light duty is not an option. If you sit at a desk then 10 days to 2 weeks is usually good enough.

Recovery after tummy tuck and BBL

This varies slightly from patient to patient, depending on the extent of the surgery, and also what they do at their job.  Typically for tummy tucks, I tell people 2 weeks - although usually I try to stagger that across a weekend or two so it's not a full 14 days off work, probably 8-10, for most people.  If their job requires a lot of activity or lifting, etc, then it may be longer.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

It is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols. I would suggest taking at minimum, 3 weeks before returning to work because this will be a much more intense recovery having the two procedures done together. I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks after a BBL. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must go back to work before 3 weeks, I definitely do recommend purchasing a BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. I hope this helps.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon