What is recommended size for me? (photos)

Im 5"4 tall 140 lbs. I wear 34B bra size. I am going to have my BA next month but I cant decide what size looks good for me. I cant decide if 450cc or 500cc ?. I need gelp. Thank you.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

What size breast implants to choose?

I do hope you are also having a breast lift because I don't believe you will be happy with larger lower breasts. The problem with placing implants in an already low breast is that your breasts become abdominal breasts not breasts on your chest where they belong. If like so many women I've seen, you've chosen to go the implant route to avoid all the scarring associated with breast lifts, you do have another choice. The Bellesoma method was developed using engineering principles to reshape, re-position and provide long term stability to a woman's breast without the extra cost, risks/complications and maintenance associated with breast implants. The vertical incision has also been completely eliminated offering a better esthetic result. I've attached an example so you can see what can be done with this technology. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

What size

Hello and thank you for posting pictures along with your question. The first thing that I notice from the pictures is that your nipple position appears to be a little low. I agree with many of my colleagues who have written below recommending that you may want to consider having a lift. The only way that determination can be made for sure is through an in person evaluation in which an evaluation of the breast and its land marks can be made, measurements taken and a discussion had on your expectations of results. Hopefully your plastic surgeon is board certified and has done and feels comfortable with augmentations and lifts at the same time. I think you should revisit with your plastic surgeon and see what their thoughts are on you needing a lift and for them to explain the different aesthetic results if you were to have an augmentation alone vs a lift alone, vs an augmentation plus a lift. I hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and implants

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing photos. In my opinion you are a candidate for a mastopexy. (implants can be combined if you desire added volume) 

A Mastopexy aims at relocating the areola and nipple in the proper position and tightens the breast tissue while removing the excess loose skin. With important ptosis, the procedure will leave a scar that has the shape of a boat anchor: around the areola, on the breast and below the breast. More moderate ptosis can be treated with a periareolar incision only or with a periareolar and vertical incisions.

Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for optimal results.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation, and I would also recommend a breast lift at the same time for improved shape and contour.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What is recommended size for me?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, it appears to me that you will likely benefit from breast lifting surgery as well. Keep in mind, that your arms are elevated in the photographs potentially changing position of your breasts on your chest wall.

In regards to optimal breast implant size/profile, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

***Given your concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "D or DD cup” or "looks good for me"  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Best Breast Implant Size

A good exam and measurements are important parts of determining the best breast implant size for you. So is trying on implant sizers in the presence of your surgeon and a trusted companion. Combining what you want with what the surgeon thinks your skin can safely hold is the best way to ensure a nice result !

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Picking the right implant size to achieve your goals

Dear Molan82: Based on your photos alone, it appears you have some sagging or ptosis.  You would likely benefit from a breast lift with your augmentation. In terms of picking the right implant size to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these
measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery
which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

350-400 cc implants should be the maximum

Thanks for your photos. You have enough breast tissue,so maximum 350-400 cc implants should be used for you. All the best...

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

What is recommended size for me?

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS