Wanting to get an explant done 2.5 years post op breast augmentation w/ mentor salines (495 cc's). Will I need a lift? (photo)

As you can see, I was very flat chested and uneven before my breast augmentation. I thought that getting breast implants would make me feel better. Since the BA, I felt that my doc went way too big on me. I have gained about 15 lbs as well since the procedure, and now feel even more insecure. The implants feel so heavy and feel like they are stretching and weighing my skin down. Will I need a lift after explant? I would not prefer it because I do not heal well. Will my breasts look deformed?

Breast Lift or Mastopexy after Breast Explant

I recently performed an explant in a woman in her 40's and she did not need a lift after breast explant.  The two main deciding factors are:  1)  Skin laxity/elasticity and 2)  Patient's desires/expectations.  Many factors contribute to a person's skin laxity/elasticity including age, weight loss/gain, pregnancy, genetics, etc.  Your skin was stretched quite a bit with the 495 cc implants and the degree that your skin will bounce back depends on the above factors.  Having your implants removed first and waiting 6 months or more to assess your skin recovery and the position of your nipple areola complex would help you decide if a breast lift is ultimately needed or desired.  Best of luck!

Will I need a lift after explant?

Thank you for your question and photos.  In my opinion, going down from almost 500 cc one would most likely require a lift.  The amazing thing about the human body is its resiliency to bounce back.  Its hard for a patient to know what to do and no one wants unnecessary scars or surgery.  One approach is to have the implants removed and then see what  your body's response is.  After six months one would be able to decide if a lift is needed.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Lift after explant

Whether or not you will need a lift after explant depends on the look you find acceptable.  Immediately after surgery your breasts will look deflated, but if you have good skin elasticity they can "bounce back" significantly.  The conservative approach would be to have the implants removed and then wait 3-6 months and reevaluate at that time.  You may find you are perfectly happy with the look.

Camille Cash, MD

Maybe

I would first have implants removed and wait 6 months without a lift. After 6 months of compression and tightening you can reasses the position of the nipples 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift after removing implnats

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your BA. It's impossible to give you an accurate assessment without an examination and a little more history. You have a better chance of not needing a lift if you are younger, good skin without stretch marks, no previous pregnancies. If not, a lift may be needed to tighten your breast shape. 

Definitely make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board
certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Implant Removal

My guess is No based on your photos.  While you are healing wear a good support bra for several weeks.  Afterwards, have your surgeon evaluate you in the event a revision is needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant removal

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your result. Explanting implants is much easier and less painful than your first surgery. It is understandable that you want to remove your implants and you should definitely do so. Most of the time skin shrinks up after implant removal surprisingly well. I attached my website if you would like to see photos of patients before and after implant removal. Best of luck .