I'm wanting to have my 10 year old implants removed. Will a lift be necessary? (Photo)

10 year old implants fall to the sides majorly when I lay on my back. They feel very side heavy and the muscle scrunches when I flex. Before implants I had a 32AA and after I went to a 36C. While pregnant and nursing they went to a 42EE and currently now after a big weight loss are 34 DD. I want to be natural again because I workout a lot and won't fully give me cleavage even with push-up bras (too far settled apart?) I'm done having kids (I have 3). Need advice! I do not want new implants.

Lift necessary?

Judging  from your pictures, your areola are in good position despite the lateral displacement of the implants Part of the issue is that you have widely set breasts to begin with and the implants have displaced laterally. I think that a simple explantation without removal of the capsule would be  enough to give you the results that you want. Your best option is to seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast augmentation surgery especially explantatipn 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Explantation without lift

Breast implant removal should be performed with complete en bloc capsulectomy without lift.  The capsule should not be left in place or the space will not heal.  In patients that believe that their implants are causing them illness, leaving the capsule behind will not result in any improvement in their symptoms. Because the removal of the capsule and lift performed together can compromise the blood supply to the skin, breast and nipple to a potentially devastating degree, they should never be performed together.  After the explantation with capsulectomy is healed, you can develop a plan for further surgery if it is warranted and is safe from a technical standpoint.  

I'm wanting to have my 10 year old implants removed. Will a lift be necessary?

Thank you for the question. I do not think that breast lifting is indicated.  However, adjustment of the internal tissues may allow for better tissue redrawing and a more aesthetic final outcome. Best wishes.

Explantation with lift

I would recommend an internal lift to decrease the base diameter and increase projection at the time of the explantation.

Susan Kolb, MD

I'm wanting to have my 10 year old implants removed.

I think it very possible you will not need a lift, but I also suspect you will have very little breast projection away from the chest wall. You might want to see someone in consultation about an appropriately smaller implant and reshaping the pocket so the implants sit correctly on your chest. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Removal of implants

Hello,If you have saline implants, having the saline removed in clinic and then allowing the breast to retract over 3 months could be useful. You would then get an idea of what  your breasts will look like with no implants and whether or not you would like to have a lift when the implants are removed. If they are gel implants or if you just want them removed without deflating the saline in clinic, then you can have them removed, along with the surrounding capsule and see what the result is like. Later, you can either have a lift or new implants placed in a new pocket that hopefully does not lead to the same problems you are currently experiencing. Alternately, you can have the implants removed and a lift performed at the same time. Be sure to have a full consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area so that he/she can best guide you in this decision. All the best,Dr. BlaggAustin, TX

Breast Implant removal (Explant)

There are many issues with the present implants, displacement, animation.Will need removal of implant with removal of the capsule, free the muscle and re-attach to the chest wall, back to normal anatomy. Would wait on the lift and re-evaluate after complete healing

No lift at this time

I would remove implants and tighten the folds through inframammary approach with a drain. No lift would be required at this time 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

You have a lot of things going on

Just to define for you, this is what seems to be going on with your implants:1. Hyperanimation of your muscle which happens sometimes with implants under the muscle- solution is to divide the muscle more and weaken it or place the implants above the muscle.2. Your breast pocket is way too big and allowing your implant to go to the side.  This happens when the pocket is over-dissected or as the tissues stretch from the force of the implant.  Solution is to bring that pocket in by either suturing it or what I use- it's called popcorn capsulorrhaphy.3. You seem to have an element of capsular contracture which is when the body forms scar tissue around the implant and can deform its shape and change its location.  Solution is to remove the implants and capsule and start again.If they are saline implants (they act like salines by ending up low and lateral), have them deflated in clinic.  I do this all the time for my patients.  You can numb up the skin and insert a needle attached to a suction canister and remove the saline from the implant.  This allows your breast to start the process of skin retraction and can better estimate what your shape and size will be once you remove the implants.  This lets us know if you might need a breast lift to help your shape and breast appearance.  It is really a valuable tool that I use.  Allow 6 weeks-3 months after deflation before you have your formal surgery done. Another alternative is to have these implants and capsule removed and then have gel implants placed above the muscle so you don't have the muscle animation you are experiencing.  It also gives the surgeon an opportunity to control the pocket easier by dissecting a new one in a new plane- this would allow your implants to be placed in an ideal location instead of having them displaced under your armpit.  I, personally, think this is the best plan.  Hope this helps! -JGH