Will any vitamins help post-op with scarring?

I had my pre-op yesterday. It went well. My surgery is in one week. I am somewhat anxious. I was given ScarFade gel. Will taking any vitamins post-op help with scarring from a lift with implants? Or not really? Thanks!

Thank you for your question. I think the most effective way to reduce the prominence of mastopexy scars is through the use of Embrace Scar Therapy.  You can research this on YouTube and determine whether the added expense is of interest to you.  Silicone gel applications may be helpful as well.  Best wishes for good result,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

No evidence that vitamins help with scarring

Hi txhouston2017,
I agree with Dr. DeMars, there is no evidence to support taking any vitamins to help with postop healing. That is assuming of course you are not staring with any vitamin deficiency to start with. If you eat a normal diet that should not be the case. Topical scar treatment is the best way to help the scar heal it's best. That combined with avoidance of sunlight to the new scar for the first 6 months which can cause pigmentation to develop.

Best regards

Robert B. Pollack, MD

Hi txhouston2017,

Best regards

Robert B. Pollack, MD

There is no evidence vitamins or supplements will improve scarring. Local treatment, like you were given, does help most patients.

Scarring after Breast Aumentation with Lift

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.  To optimize scarring I typically recommend silicone sheeting starting at about 3 weeks postop, and possibly scar massage at that time if necessary.  Of course, limiting exercise for 6 weeks helps to keep tension off your incision as well.  Please discuss specifics with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Harvard-trained Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon 

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Optimize scar appearance after surgery

There is no medical or scientific evidence that any oral or topical vitamins or supplements improve scarring after surgery. The singular most important thing that you can do is protect the new scar (and the rest of your skin for that matter) from ultraviolet rays and the sun. The only topical treatment with any scientific evidence of improving scar outcomes are topical gels, sheeting or tapes containing Silicone. Any other topical creams, gels, etc that state they improve scarring are not backed by any actual evidence and are likely. There are products available like BioCorneum which contain both silicone and SPF sun protectant in a simple to use gel. Unfortunately, the biggest indicator of how well your scars will heal are genetics and your personal history of how prior cuts and incisions have healed.

Optimize scar appearance after surgery