Tummy tuck: How long after a tummy tuck can you sleep on your stomach?

Tummy tuck and sleeping

I prefer that until may patients are able to completely stand straight( about 5-7 days after surgery) they can not lie flat on a bed.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Sleeping on Stomach

There is no harm in sleeping on your stomach after about 2-3 weeks after surgery, as long as it is not uncomfortable.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Sleeping on your stomach following a TT

In my practice, I would advise my patients to wait at least four weeks until you attempt to sleep on your stomach.  It probably won't be until at least then when it would feel somewhat comfortable to be positioned that way anyway.  As always, please follow your chosen plastic surgeon's post operative instructions.  Best of luck in your recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. I would wait at least 3 weeks before sleeping full on your stomach. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuck

I would recommend following the post operative instructions of your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has slightly different protocols. I usually recommend that my patients sleep in a recliner chair for the first week or two to take pressure off of the abdominal incision. If after two weeks, everything is healing nicely and the patient is comfortable to do so, they can then sleep on their stomachs but every patient heals differently so it is really a case by case decision. Best of luck. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

This is different for every patient as some are closer tighter than others and are in a flexed position longer. Some patients have a lower pain tolerance and cannot take the discomfort of the pressure even after weeks. It is safe to assume you will need at least 2 weeks but likely longer before you can comfortably lay on your tummy.