Is It possible to have a TT at my weight? (Photos)

Hello I'm 37 years old and I've been reading and researching on TT .And wouldlike to have one done trying to see if I'm a good candidate.I'm a mother of 4 and I've lost 65lbs a year ago and been having a hard time losing any more I'm currently at 230lbs -5'2" solid weight. I would like to have lipo and TT and have no problem with still being a big girl with a small waistline. Is it possible to have it done at my current weight size?

Is it possible to have a TT at my weight?

Thanks for your question and photos.

In general, I recommend my patients to reach their stable, goal weight prior to any body contouring procedure.  From the surgery, I try to give the best contour for the patients.  If patients gain weight afterwards, the result will not be as good.  If they lose much weight afterwards, they may develop lose skin. In regards to cosmetic outcome, if a patient has excessive intra-abdominal fat, the abdomen will not be very flat.

In addition, being overweight increases risks for surgical and post-surgical complications. 

Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person to find out whether you are a good candidate for the tummy tuck and to learn about pros, cons, and potential risks of surgery.

Best regards.

Abdominoplasty Risks & Obesity

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your weight loss so far! It may be helpful at this point to consult with a nutritionist who can help you get over the hump and succeed with further weight loss at this difficult stage. I would agree with what others here have said, that a healthy BMI- 18-25, is ideal to ensure safe, optimal results. I will allow a BMI up to 30 in some cases but  increased safety risks and the likelihood of a poor result begin to outweigh the benefits. It may be helpful for you to have an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon as well and let them offer recommendations and feedback for your planning.

All the best

Healthy BMI

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. You would need to be down to a healthy weight and BMI before having a cosmetic procedure to insure a safe outcome. Also, being at a stable weight is key to ensure you don't gain weight back after surgery. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Fancisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #mommymakeover #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is It possible to have a tummy tuck at my weight?

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. 

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  

Having said the above,  occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. 

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·       excess abdominal skin which may sag

·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity.

Now, it is best to reach your goal weight before your procedure to help make sure that no additional loose skin will be gained by losing additional weight after surgery. The best thing to do would be to seek out local board certified plastic surgeons for consultations as to what the best procedure would be for your case. Good luck!

Is It possible to have a TT at my weight?

It is possible to do the surgery but definitely not a good idea unless you are comfortable spending a considerable amount of money for a substandard result. In our practice we would not want to see that happen and require TT patients to be as far below a BMI of 30 as they can get. We also want to keep risk to an absolute minimum. At your BMI you would be considered a major surgical risk. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Ideal weight for tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. While it is not necessary to get your weight down to the "normal" range as suggested by another here, it is generally recommended to get your BMI below 30 in order to decrease your risk of complications with surgery and improve your results. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

TT at my weight?

Hi SweetRed

Your photos are not all helpful to me to answer your question, sorry!

However, based on your BMI alone, I will give you my limited answer.

By my calculations, your BME is 42.1, and you are class III obese.  Your weight range should be 101-137 lbs to be in the "normal range" by my calculator (there are about a half dozen formulas with minor variations in results).  Based on just your BMI, I would refuse you as a patient because your risk of all complications at your current weight is unacceptable for a cosmetic elective procedure.

I would not discourage you however.  I WOULD counsel you that you need to lose about 100 pounds to get to a normal weight.  I would not harp on "normal" because that might not be in the cards for you.  Your current weight is hurting your overall health, setting you up for serious health problems in the future, and for a shortened longevity.  I would encourage you to at least consider bariatric surgery, especially since your weight has plateaued.  At least seek nutritional/dietary counseling.

Finally, I want to leave you with hope and encouragement.  Congratulations on your excellent accomplishment so far.  It is common to need help, and fortunately, there is plenty out there for you . Don't be reluctant to seek it out to achieve your dreams.  You can do it.

All the best.

sek

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question. Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery. For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30  In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD