I'm 10 months into my BA. Is it OK to tan?

This might sound silly but I really would love to tan! I'm 10 months into my BA is it ok to Tan?

Tanning is ok 10 months after breast augmentation

You can go ahead an tan now. Ten months is enough recovery time after breast augmentation to safely tan.  

As long as you've healed ok, you should be able to tan.  Use sunscreen and review specific recommendations with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Tanning post surgery

yes it should be ok to tan now but I would recommend that you cover your scars just to prevent them becoming darker.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgeons certainly may have different opinions on this question so I can only tell you my answer. We tell our patients that after two weeks they can tan but if a scar is red, it's more susceptible to turning brown with sunlight. Therefore, if you're going to be in a tanning bed, either cover the scar or put a good sunscreen over it. Certainly ask your plastic surgeon for their recommendations.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thanks for your inquiry.  I recommend my patients avoid direct UV to their scars for a year.  While wearing a good swimsuit with a high UV index which covers the scars, you should be okay for the rest of your body to get sun.  Always wear sunscreen and call your plastic surgeon  to confirm any oour recomendations.   

Is it okay to tan 10 months after breast augmentation?

I usually recommend that patients avoid tanning breast skin for one month after a breast augmentation.  The scars can be much more sensitive to the sun than the rest of your skin, however, and if exposed to sunlight or ultraviolet radiation (tanning beds) too soon, can darken permanently.  I generally recommend protecting scars from sun exposure for at least one year or until the pink color completely fades, whichever is longer.

Since every patient and plastic surgeon is different, I would recommend that you discuss this question with your plastic surgeon.

Craig S. Rock, MD