I am 4 weeks post op BA revision - symmastia or swelling? (photos)

I had a lift with implant exchange from 375 cc saline to 375cc textured silicone. I I said that I wanted a smaller breast and initially wanted 330 cc but my doctor recommended 375cc which would give me a C cup. They still look very big and the skin lifts off the sternum. I saw the doctor 2 weeks post op and he did not seem to be concerned. But it has not improved yet and I am really worried that it could by symmastia because the implants were too big for my chest.

Synmastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good morning!

Your implants are definitely too close together, with skin tenting, which fits the definition for synmastia whether the muscle is actually lifted off the sternum or not. It is unlikely to be just swelling this far postop.

Post Op Swelling May be Mistaken as Symmastia

If you recently underwent breast augmentation surgery, you are most likely experiencing swelling between the two breasts. This will improve with time and #swelling will subside. Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #breast procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal and scars will also be changing.

But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Additionally, your surgeon may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. (#Textured implants do not require breast massage.). This you will be more informed about during your post operative follow-up appointment. 
In the meantime, you must have patience, but if there are any causes of concern, ask questions of your plastic surgeon or their nursing staff.  

Could I have symmastia or are my implants just close together?

Thanks for the question.  Without a full examination, one can't be certain as to whether you have symmastia , or simply implants that are  too large and are too close along the sterna edge.  I would ask your Plastic Surgeon to evaluate this condition fully.  Depending on what the findings are the options should be presented to you for either continued observation, or future revisional surgery.  Please remember that second opinions often will help to clarify our condition as well as options.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia or swelling?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast  augmentation/lifting surgery. Although your breasts are certainly quite close to one another,  it is unlikely that true symmastia is present. More likely, you are experiencing "tenting" of the skin of the sternum and/or residual swelling.  If, in the longer term, breast implant positioning remains a concern,  revisionary breast surgery (capsulorraphy) may be indicated.