Swimming pools after Tummy tuck?

How long does it take to be able to get inside a swimming pool after tummy and liposuction without getting an infection. People tell me 6 weeks but my doctor said it was better to give it one year. No swimming pools lakes or beaches to be on the safe side. Is this true?? He says to avoid or prevent any serious infection and why is this??

Swimming pools after tummy tuck

Hi, luzyjose9I think one year is a little excessive.  I would allow my patients to go into swimming pool or lake after 6 weeks as long as all incisions are healed and drains are removed.  Each plastic surgeon can have different surgical technique and post-surgical protocol.Please ask your plastic surgeon to examine you and to give you the clearance prior to going into pool/bath tub/lake.Best regards.

Swimming Pool After TT

Dear luzyjose9,
I advise my patients to wait two weeks after all drains and sutures are removed. That way we can feel comfortable that all of the incisions are waterproof. This would be for a swimming pool which is relatively clean water. I also warn them, however, not to do strenuous swimming and challenge the muscle tightening for at least six to eight weeks. Regarding a lake or the ocean, I would add a month to the above recommendations. I hope this has been helpful to you. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Swimming pools after Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question. 6-10 weeks is perfectly adequate to swim in a pool or ocean.
Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

Taking a dip after your tuck and nip?

I agree with many of my colleagues below. It is best to listen to your plastic surgeon because he may have a good reason on why he wants you to wait for a certain time period. I can speak about what I typically tell my patients. I tell them that once their incisions are COMPLETELY healed that they can get into some water. When I say completely, I mean completely healed. One should definitely be cautious about getting into any type of water, whether it be a lake, ocean or even a pool. I hope you are able to have a discussion with you plastic surgeon and he can make you feel comfortable about his recommendations! 

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Water and tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry, if you incisions are healed you should be able to get in a pool after six weeks in my practice.  I similarly allow patients to get in the ocean after six weeks.  I am more cautious with lakes because many are man made and the water is more stagnant. I have simple advice for patients about recovery restrictions-best to listen to your surgeon. Good Luck.  

Water after surgery

Thank you for your question.  I can only speak to what I recommend for my patients.  Typically, my patients are allowed to swim and take a bath two weeks after all incisions and drain sites are completely healed.  So, if you have a small area of your incision that took a little longer than the rest to heal, you would be allowed to swim two weeks after the last area healed.  Hope this helps.  

Swimming after Tummy Tuck

For my clients I allow them to go in a  pool one week after their drains are out assuming all incisions are healed. If you are talking lake or ocean I would wait 2-3 weeks after the drains come out, again assuming all incisions are completely healed. However, your surgeon knows you best so I would do what he/she advises but always feel free to check in and clarify with your surgical team! 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I am much, much lenient than the other answers

your incision will be sealed within days. 
i let all of my patients and surgery shower the very next day.

if everything looked good by day 10 (and maybe even sooner), i would let you 
swim in a pool. you do need to be careful not to sunburn because you will 
sunburn more easily and you will also be numb.

I would be a little more conservative with open water such 
as an ocean or lake because they have more microbes in them.

however, it is important you check with your own surgeon.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Swimming pools after Tummy tuck?

No one wants their patient to have a great surgery, then have a late complication such as an infection. Therefore, you should be completely healed before going in the water. People heal differently, but most patients should be able to be in the swimming pool in four to six weeks. Good luck!

Swimming pools after Tummy tuck?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Assuming that a patient does not have any wound healing issues during their recovery most can submerge their incisions at 4 weeks after surgery with little risk of infection or issue.  Hope this helps.