Surgery coming up soon! Can the gas and smoke from weed eater affect me?

Hallo I helped the hubby out by cutting the grass and while he was putting the gas on the lawnmower I accidentally smelled the gas as well as the smoke from the weed eater. Well my question is since I know I can't even smoke or smell cigarettes can the gas and smoke from weed eater affect me since surgery is a few days away. As soon as I smelled it I went inside to get away from it. I do plan to ask my surgeon but just thought I ask ere too. I really hope it don't affect me :(

Mommy make-over - has the smoke from the weed eater a problem?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • You should be fine but you are right to let your surgeon know.
  • Clearly your exposure was limited - 
  • The problem with cigarette smoke is it is usually indoors, concentrated, deeply inhaled - and fully absorbed.
  • Exposure to gas and weed eater smoke outdoors means you were exposed to much and inhaled less.
  • But from now until 6 weeks after surgery, it is best to avoid any such exposure if possible-
  • Tell your husband the grass is his to do for the rest of the summer - alone!
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Smelling Gas?

Your limited exposure to the gas should not affect your #mommymakeover #results.  No worries!  That being said, please refrain from doing any strenuous activity like mowing the lawn until six weeks after surgery.
Consult your #boardcertified plastic surgeon if you have any major concerns.

Ask your surgeon

You were not exposed to the smoke for a very long time and it was outdoors.  Please let your surgeon know and avoid any other exposure. 

Weed eater smoke

Hello and thank you for your question. Its good to hear that you are trying to follow instructions so mindfully! It sounds like your exposure was brief and it should not cause any problems in regards to your healing. One of the harmful substances in cigarette smoke, tobacco, is what can lead to the wound healing problems because it can cause your blood vessels to clamp down and therefore decrease blood flow to the areas that are healing. Weed eater smoke doesn't have tobacco in it so I think you should be ok! But you have the right idea when it comes to talking to your plastic surgeon. Good luck with you surgery!
Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Can inhalation of weed eater fumes affect upcoming cosmetic surgery?

The fact that you're taking your doctor's instructions seriously is wonderful. The brief and very limited exposure shouldn't put you in any danger, it is good to be concerned and certainly avoid similar situations as you don't want to jeapordize your body's healing. Keep your surgeon informed and continue following his/her instructions!

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon