What do you do when your surgeon doesn't acknowledge a problem? 6 weeks post op (Photo)

I did sign a sheet that said if mistakes made on the surgeons part, a revision would just require me to pay anesthesia/ OR costs. I've heard back from several doctors (based on pics) all said "symmastia" or "impending symmastia". During my f/u appt he refused to acknowledge a problem & said that's just the way my skin pocket is. He said there is no way to correct the problem. There's nothing normal about my outcome. What can I do at this point? I can't afford another surgery to repair his work.

Probable Symmastia

Dear MargaretMaloney,
I cannot say with 100% certainty that you have symmastia. However, the picture taken of your breasts from the bellybutton northward certainly does look like you have symmastia. That is a complication not easily corrected. If the surgeon put your implants on top of the muscle, however, you would be an easier repair to simply reposition the implants under the pec major muscles leaving the portion of the muscle which is attached to the breastbone completely intact. That guarantees the implants will stay separated. On the other hand, if they are already under the muscle and the pockets have joined you would need to have a new pocket made on top of the muscle directing it more laterally to leave a healthy bridge of tissue across the breastbone separating the implants. In addition, we advise using a “thong bra” which is a kind of crisscross bra to separate the implants for at least six weeks. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

What do you do when your surgeon doesn't acknowledge a problem? 6 weeks post op

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine whether or not you have synmastia as your breasts were touching before the augmentation.  If you do not feel your surgeon is addressing your issues I would recommend seeking a second opinion.  Hope this helps.

Breast symmastia?

Looking at your photos I do not think that I see true symastia since you had breasts that touched each other pre op and post op. However, I do feel that you implants are both sitting more medially then they should be. Both nipples are pointing more laterally than they did pre-op. I think if you had a simple revision to enlarge the lateral pockets enough to get the nipples pointing straight again you would have a nicer look. I would discuss again with your surgeon and seek second opinion if need be. Good luck.

Revision

Your breasts were very close to each other pre-op and the implants have either exaggerated that or the implant pockets are in communication and you have a synmastia. Your surgeon is the best person to answer this question for you. If you are not satisfied with the answer then seek a second opinion.