When can I start doing intensive exercises, core or weight training after a tummy tuck?

I had surgery on oct 27 and had a tummy tuck, lipo and a bbl.

Exercise after tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Most plastic surgeons have there own way of how they like things done and may have different recommendations on post op instructions based on their experience. I think it is best that you speak with your plastic surgeon and carefully follow his/her instructions. That being said, I can tell you what I tell my patients. I ask them not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for a strict 6 weeks. If everything goes well during the 6 weeks I then allow them to SLOWLY start working back up to their exercise regimen. I ask them to go through the motions but without weight and then SLOWLY work up to using weights. They need to listen to their body...Meaning, if they do certain exercises that dont feel right in regards to their abdomen then they should avoid that particular exercise for another couple of weeks. I also recommend my patients to wait at least 3 months after surgery before they do any abdominal exercises. But as stated before you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Start Exercise After a Tummy Tuck

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon who knows you best. For my patients I want them to wait 6 weeks before resuming any type of formal exercise. Then to start slowly increasing as your body allows. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase your activity level. Best wishes.

Most surgeons would likely recommend at least 6 weeks before returning to strenuous activity.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Work outs and surgery

You need to speak to your surgeon to determine whether or not you are able to return to full activities yet. Good luck.

Exercise post tummy tuck

Every surgeon has his or her own unique post op protocol so talk to your surgeon. Personally, I allow my tummy tuck patients to return to light exercise in 2-3 weeks, but wait at least 6 weeks before returning to strenuous exercise. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Healing after a tummy tuck is usually retty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  Patients can return to light activities almost immediately after surgery, normal activities 2 weeks after surgery, and vigorous exercise 4 weeks after surgery.  We usually experience a slow steady improvement for 3 months or so after surgery. 

Timing

In my practice, I advocate waiting 3 months before resuming core exercise.  This allows for proper and complete healing of the fascial plication.  Your surgeon's advice may differ. 

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise, including core workouts, by six weeks.  It is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.