What is the best solution for my double chin? (photos)

My double chin is making me lose my confidence and I Am only 34 years old I am wondering what's the best solution to get rid of it , and what is the cost for that? Thank you

Treating your double chin and NYC

Based on your photos you would benefit from the cool-mini or Kybella to reduce the fat and get rid of your double chin. Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Eliminate double chin

Hi Maria,You are a great candidate for either Kybella or neck liposuction. I commonly perform neck liposuction in young patients while they are awake under local anesthesia. For those who do not want to be awake, we can always give twilight anesthesia. Alternatively, you can be treated with Kybella, which also works well. With Kybella, however, you will likely need at least 2 treatments (possibly 3) for best results. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the best solution for my double chin?

Hello Maria Moca,This is a very common question that I get, "How to treat the double chin."  
I have discussed some of the more common treatment options below with the pros and cons mentioned.Liposuction is designed to physically remove the fat through well placed, camouflaged incisions.  In patients under age 35 the skin will have enough elasticity to tighten back up and not need any further treatment.  This is useful for both the lower cheeks and the neck area. Given your age and isolated problem, this may be an excellent option for you.  The only drawback is that it is a surgery and there is downtime associated.Kybella is an injectable that dissolves fat.  It is performed in the office in about 15 minutes.  It usually takes at least 2 and up to 4 treatments with swelling after each treatment that improves in a few days.  It is only approved for the double chin area. It is nice because there is no downtime and the treatment isn't very uncomfortable.  Because it does take multiple treatments it can take a while to see your result, and the costs can add up if you need more treatments.  SmartLipo will use an approach just like regular liposuction but instead of using a device that suctions and removes the fat, it uses lasers to dissolve the fat.  The proposed added benefit over traditional liposuction is that it leads to better skin tightening, but whether that takes place is something we can discuss.   It may have less bruising than standard liposuction as well.   However, there are risks when using lasers and it can add to the cost over traditional liposuction since a new device is being used.CoolSculpting is another fat removal device.  It uses a suction followed by the application of cold temperatures to kill the fat cells over 35 minutes (or an hour if the old hand pieces are being used).  This does not use any injections or incisions compared to the other treatment options above.  Treatment in this area can be mixed, and it is not the most comfortable treatment in the world.  The benefit is there is no downtime and it can be repeated.  But with repeat treatments your costs go up.  To truly help you decide what is best for you, I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon.  In the right hands and for the right patient, these can call be good treatment options.  The important part is choosing the appropriate candidate for each. I hope this helps and good luck.   

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photo, you look as if you would be an ideal candidate for Kybella. My best advise would be for you to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Options for Double Chin

Currently we have several treatment options that can be very effective for properly selected patients to treat double chin.  Looking at these photos you appear to have good skin elasticity, which is a very good thing.  Liposuction should be a very effective option to treat this area, which would require very little or no downtime. You should be possible to treat this area with one treatment session in most cases.  Kybella is also a very effective treatment, which involves injections to dissolve excess fat under the chin.  There is no significant downtime for this procedure.  Many patients will require more than one Kybella treatment to achieve their desired results - on average this is 2-4 treatments.  

Thank you for your question Maria. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. A series of 2-4 treatments is required, and some people have up to 6 treatments. Outstanding results can be seen over time with a series of treatments. Pricing is variable from office to office. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You appear to be a great candidate for Kybella to reduce your submental adipose pad. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella treatment for double chin

Based on your photos, you would be a great candidate for Kybella injection. It would reduce the fat in the submental region (under the chin). Most patients require 2-4 treatment sessions using 1-3 vials per session. The price per vial ranges from $500-$700 per vial.

Double chin

You should see a nice result with Kybella treatment. You will most likely need two sessions about a month apart. The the total cost would be in the range of $2000-$3000 depending on the provider and location.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  You seem to be a great candidate for either Kybella or Coolsculpting with the Cool-Mini.  You will require multiple treatments regardless of which one you choose because of the amount of fatty tissue in the area.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons who offer both treatment options so that you can get the one that will best meet your goals.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!