How do I make the best selection on surgeon? -Breast augmentation

I consulted with 3 plastic surgeons regarding my breast augmentation. I am having a hard time making a selection between them. They have compatible experience and the prices are slightly different from each other. I would like my implant to look natural. Is there a specific technique that makes the implant look more natural. How do I make the surgeon selection? HELP!!! One of the surgeons focuses more on the reconstruction surgery, is that an advantage or disadvantage?
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Make your choice based on your comfort level and personal preference.

If the three surgeons you’ve narrowed it down to are comparable when it comes to their education, experience and certification, it really depends on how well you’re able to communicate with each of them. If you’re more comfortable talking to one surgeon over the others, or feel that you can more clearly get your thoughts and feelings across to them, then that might help you make your decision. In terms of having your implants offer a natural-looking result, implant type and placement help determine the outcome just as much as surgical technique. Focus your decision on selecting a surgeon who you can communicate openly with and who you are confident can best give you the results you’re looking for.

The most important decision affecting the outcome of breast augmentation is a selection of surgeon.

If you have consulted with three board certified plastic surgeons there's not much more you can do. Let the surgeon worry about the technique and the type of implants. The most important determinant of any outcome in surgery is the surgeon. Go with the surgeon you feel most comfortable with.

Choosing a surgeon

Breast augmentation is all about a healthy conversation between patients and their surgeons. I would recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon that really listens and tries to understand what your goals are for a natural feel especially if you have already felt silicone and don't like them. Remember there are different companies that make different silicone implants and saline ones too. Anatomic versus round implants have long been debated and the recent American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery this was heavily debated at the scientific session. The jury is not out on this question and the most important thing is making an informed decision and understanding the risks and benefits associated with any type of implant that can include things like rotation or contracture. A board certified plastic surgeon's office can have sample implants to help you visualize what the implants feel like Best of luck! MMT

Choosing a surgeon for a breast augmentation

Did you see before and after photos of actual patients when you went in for your consultations? If you are comfortable with all three surgeons, I would rely on the surgeon whose before and after photos looked the best and most natural to you. I'm not sure if there's an advantage to using a surgeon who focuses more on reconstructive surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  It is an important one: selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make when it comes to achieving an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Generally I suggest that patients start with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  Ultimately it will be important that you feel comfortable that your plastic surgeon have a significant/demonstrable experience consistently achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  I think it is also important that your plastic surgeon has a significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery, in the event that revision surgery becomes necessary.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors.

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.

I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.

3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.