6 weeks post full abdominal TT. Is embrace scar therapy effective when starting after 6 weeks?

Is embrace therapy worth starting after 6 weeks post op. The data I have pulled from Stanford only includes starting embrace 2 to 5 weeks post surgery I want to do everything possible to make sure my surgical results are optimal. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Scar Modulation

Embrace is an elastic, adhesive silicone dressing that helps to offload some of the tension across the incision line while providing a warm, hydrated environment for wound healing. The relief of tension, silicone sheeting, sun avoidance and protection, massage, and maintenance of hydration have all been shown to improve scar maturation. Scar maturation takes 6 months to 1 year to complete; therefore, the use of modulating therapies such as Embrace may continue to influence the quality of the scar throughout this time.

The Stanford Study (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2014 Sep;134(3):536-46) was a prospective trial that demonstrated a small improvement in scar quality at 12 months in abdominoplasty patients that used Embrace for at least 5 weeks (up to 13 weeks). The results were statistically significant, however, the raw numbers show an improvement of only 0.39 (13%) on a scale of 1-10 in the treated area (2.90 vs. 3.29). Real world expectations must, therefore, be tempered.

Embrace Active Scar Defense

For the best results, Embrace Active Scar Defense is typically applied 1-2 weeks after surgery but can be started later. While the results may not be as evident when starting the treatment later, there should still be some improvement. As every person’s own healing process is different, your results may differ from others using Embrace. If you tend to develop bad scarring, it may be beneficial to wear the active scar device for longer than 8 weeks. It is important to consult your board-certified plastic surgeon to determine how Embrace is best used for you. Good luck in your research!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Embrace after tummy tuck

Typically, embrace scar sheets are applied between weeks 2-8 after a tummy tuck. You may still get some results at 6 weeks out but discuss with your surgeon. He or she may be able to contact the local Embrace rep for additional information. Good luck!

Embrace therapy

Thanks for your inquiry, I believe there still can be a benefit.  Please discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Good Luck, Dr Rumalla