Scar revision on shoulder. Any suggestions? (photos)

Had shoulder scope 8 months ago. Applied silicone patches to area for about 6 weeks postop. The scars have continued to become more raised. They are very sensitive to touch. I hate the way they feel when I touch them. When I have to scratch the shoulder area, it is very sensitive. I do not know whether I should seek help from a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.

Doctor Answers 3

Shoulder keloids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would begin with Plato's Scar Serum; followed by IIT and laser therapy to the area to prevent growth of the keloids. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Hypertrophic Scar/Keloid -- Pulsed Dye Laser/VBeam, 5fu/steroids, Fraxel/Viva, CO2, Aerolase

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest an in person consultation with an expert for evaluation. Hypertrophic scarring should be treated in a combination approach with lasers along with steroid/5fu injections. Please consult with a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Scar revision on shoulder. Any suggestions?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Jzuck,
Your scar is having symptoms and should be treated.  There are several options available and most likely a steroid type injection would be the first line treatment.  Depending on the response other treatments may be helpful later if needed.  
I'd recommend you consult with a core aesthetic physician such as a facial plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or plastic surgeon.  
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.