Scar remedies after Breast Augmentation.

I get my bandages taken off of my breast augmentation incisions under the breast fold in 4 days ( just over a week postop). I've been recommended scarGUARD. But I have also heard great reviews about scarAWAY strips as well as mederma cream. Ive gotten varying advice regarding vit E oil on the scar/incision, though. Also, do I need to take vit E supplements or use vit E oil directly on the incision? Any recommendations on the best method (and time frame) to make the scars thin and light?

Scar Remedies after Breast Augmentation Porcedures. Dr. Sesto (dominican Republic)

If your surgeon recommended "Scar Guard' use it. Is a great product. Is a silicon sheet that will soften your scars.

You may use it for a couple of month.

Always follow your surgeon's recommendations because he is the only one that noticed the early changes in your scar and know how to manage them. Do not follow what friends tell you or what you read, because he is the only one who knows how your scar is evolving.

Do you need a scar remedy after breast aug?

In many cases, patients do not need to do anything with their breast fold scars after breast augmentation. Generally scars will heal nicely and continue to fade over time. You definitely do not want to use any creams, gels or other potions while your incisions are open. If you notice anything unusual with the healing of your scars, talk to your plastic surgeon and see what he/she recommends for your specific situation. If a patient really wants to take extra precaution with their scars or is having some minor issues with healing, I will have them purchase Scarless® or Embrace Scar Therapy. 

Does your scar even need it?

My primary approach is through the fold... and I do not routinely use scar products and the scars are universally acceptable.  If you have a propensity for scarring, certainly doing something cannot hurt and you should follow your surgeons advice.  On the other hand, if you're part of the 99% that heal fine, do you need to waste your time and expenses on such products?  The only way to know if your product is working is to use it on one side and use a moisturizer on the other side.  If you see a benefit, then convert to the scar product.  If you see none, you know the product is no better than massaging your scar with moisturizer.

Curtis Wong, MD

Embrace scar therapy

Most of the "remedies" you mention have little or no science to prove they help whatsoever - however, there is a treatment that has proven to work which we recommend in our office - that is Embrace scar therapy - you can just search for Embrace in google.

Scar management

There are several potions and lotions that claim to be good for scar management.  First, you should talk to you plastic surgeon to get his/her specific recommendations.   The only things that have bee show to truly have an impact with scar fading is 1) scar massage therapy (mechanical massaging of the scar and 2) application of silicone gel strips.   Followup with your plastic surgeon as scheduled.  I'm sure you'll love your results once you are all healed.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Scar massage is always helpful. We use Biocorneum whihc is a combination of silicone and sunscreen. Living in Miami, our patuients tend to hit the beach pretty quick afterwards.The sun rays do penetrate the fabric of the bathing suit and therefore Biocorneum offers added protection. Good luck

Best scar remedies after breast augmentation

You should follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon regarding treatment of your scars after breast augmentation.

Many of the remedies that you mention work however in my experience scar guard has provided better results than mederma.

Honestly massage is the most helpful technique to improve most surgical scars.

If your scars do become red raised and irritated 1540 non-ablative fractional erbium laser treatments aren't excellent method.