Is my scar infected? Is this swelling normal? Could I have disrupted my muscle repair sutures? (photos)

13 days PO from TT & lipo. My drain came out on its own 8 days PO & I've been concerned about getting a seroma. I often tap around & haven't noticed the water bed motion, but the swelling I experience seems extreme! Caught a 24 HR bug 11 days PO. When I vomited it felt like my stomach was being ripped open. Could this cause a disruption to my muscle repair sutures? My incision looks normal except in 2 places where it oozes a yellow fluid. Is this an infection? Does my belly button look normal?

Is there infection?

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your questions. The BEST answers to the questions you have asked will come from your plastic surgeon. The reason for this is because it is only your plastic surgeon that can evaluate you in person. Even though the pictures can help, nothing can replace being evaluated in person. By your description it sounds like infection maybe possible. By your pictures, it does seem like you have swelling to the lower abdomen pubic area. Without assessing you in person I wouldn't be able to determine whether it is seroma or normal swelling. However, if your drain came out before it was ready to come out a then a seroma is possible. The areas you describe as draining pus seem to be areas of your incision that have possibly opened up and the tissue underneath is yellow fibrinous tissue. The redness can be a sign of infection but it can also be due to the open areas. Some of the signs and symptoms of infection are redness, warmth, pain that is getting worse, foul smelling drainage, pus, fevers, chills etc... In summary, I really think the best course of action here is to call your plastic surgeon and let them know about what is going on and what your concerns are. I am sure they will want you to come in to see them right away so they can assess you and make recommendations on how to proceed. Hope this helps and good luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Have it looked at but,

It looks like the redness may be from your dissolvable sutures. They, unfortunately, cause some local reaction is some patients and a little redness just along the incision line. Increased pain, temp>101, drainage which looks cloudy or generally feeling worse are all things to let your doc know and may be indicative of an infection. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Incision Concerns

I recommend that you have your incision assessed in person by your Surgeon. The redness and discharge you report is concerning.

All the best

Tummy tuck healing

Sorry to hear about your tummy tuck recovery.  There is some redness around your incision.  This can be secondary to normal healing, a superficial infection, or even a seroma stressing out the skin a little.  The seroma is very important to diagnose and treat if present.  If it is left behind scar tissue can build up.  I definitely recommend that you should be seen by your plastic surgeon for evaluation and management.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Possible post op infection?

Based on your photos and description, you may be experiencing an infection along your incision line. Since I always think it best to err on the side of caution, I would encourage you to schedule an appointment to see your surgeon to have this looked at in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon